1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pie Corbett's 'What am I?'

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ilovemarmite, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Does anyone have a copy of this poem? Appparently it's in the Works 2. Gettin desperate.
    Please hep if you can.

2. Does anyone have a copy of this poem? Appparently it's in the Works 2. Gettin desperate.
    Please hep if you can.

3. Why not buy the book - Amazon will send it swiftly or you will find it in Waterstones...... Whenever you email poems etc around, you are depriving the author of the small reward they should receive from their writing. Very often, you are illegally copying someone else's work......

4. Not if it's posted on the internet by a publisher! In this case Fulton Publishers! ;)

5. Thanks Babyboomer. Jack Turnip - i have the book but it's at school and I'm at home!

6. It is a principle. We should support writers. If publishers give away the samples for free, you can be quite sure that they will not have asked the author, let alone paid to do this. They assume the right to do this..... it may seem a small matter but morally speaking it seems somewhat unfair..... Only a very small percentage of what you pay ends up with the author. For instance, the original The Works has sold in excess of 100,000 copies. If an author has a poem in there, they will have received about £50. The total sales will be over half a million pounds. That means that for every copy sold the author takes 0.0001 pence...... The idea that poets in particular earn very much is not true. Most live well below the breadline or have to have other jobs...... but hey if you want to just download and miss out the author, that be your business....

7. Sorry replied before I read yrs......

8. I'm married to an author!
    His work is frequently photocopied illegally and passed around from school to school. I know where you're coming from BUT if you look at the link that I gave the poem is freely available on the net. Are you an author Jack T ?

9. Yes - so i suppose it is close to my heart too. My stuff does appear on the internet without permission on a regular basis - the generous side of me doesn't care but the bank balance does!

10. Yes - our bank manager would be more than happy if the internet and photocopiers didn't exist either!!
    :0)

11. Oh dear, I don't think this is the right poem. The one I need has the line 'I am a boomerang that will never spin round'

12. lol! Hope someone else can help - perhaps a new thread? :0)

13. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

I am a soft boomerang,
    That will never spin aournd.
    An unwrapped present,
    Far far from the ground.
    Don't monkey about -
    I live in feat of that.

At a glance, I look
    Like a giant's yellow fingers,
    But the smell that lingers
    Is oh, so much sweeter.

Leave me too long
    And I'll turn rotten.
    Forgotten - and I'll ooze.

Watch out for my skin -
    Or you'll lose your step,
    And slip flat
    On your back
    to crack
    Your head wide open.

14. Thanks stuffed crust - your a star!

15. myrtle

myrtle Occasional commenter

I can't find any freebies like the earlir doc on the fulton publishers site..