1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pie Corbett

Discussion in 'Primary' started by radley78, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Started at a new school and they want to implement Pie Corbett's story telling. I've done Ros Wilson but not this.Any help, suggestions? Ta xx

2. anyone had any training re this

3. No training. I've just been appointed as Lit co and all I know is that advisor told old lit co (she's retired) that it would be good! I've been given two books, but like Big Write until you have proper training or advice from others its difficult. xx

4. Last year I went to a conference run by Pie Corbett and the Literacy Trust about writing and story telling. I'm sure there is a book published by him with his idea and ways to implement it.
    Basically he believed that children couldn't write if they didn't know the language of storytelling. And to become familiar with this he advocated telling a story with a sort of story board with visual clues. You repeat this so that in the end the children say it. As you tell the story you have hand signals. So 'once upon a time......' has maybe you opening both hands out as if opening a book, then 'there was a little girl... and you have a sign for this - the children know the signs before the words. Once familiar with a story you can vary and change it - introducing the same frame but with differences - instead of a little girl it is a blue dinosaur (or something like that). He was absolutely fantastic to hear, very inspirational to listen to, but I never had the courage to do it!
    Have a look on the literacy trust website or search his books, am sure he was promoting his book at this conference.
    Good luck

5. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

All schools in our LEA are using this method and are working with Pie Corbett. We have had two lots of training and he is visiting again soon.

The books are called Storytelling into Writing: there is a red one for KS1 and a blue one for KS2.

If you email me at bevevans22@aol.com I can send you a little more info.

Bev [​IMG]

6. We are just starting to introduce talk for writing so any information would be really useful. I teach year one.
    Thank you
    janis.thorpe@sky.com

7. Pie Corbett's approach is excellent - I used it with a previous class. The Bumper Book of story telling and the Jumpstart books are great. There is also How to Teach Story Writing.
    It is a very simple approach - the children learn a story, they use hand actions for the key time connectives, they construct a story map and use that to re-tell the story, they undertake various activities - ie write a letter to a character, hot seat a character etc, they then change the story in some way, write a new story map and orally retell and then write. You should also try and practise some of the key spellings or grammar features needed.

Even the low ability children in my class were able to write because they were so familiar withh the story, were able to spell or could attempt to spell key words.

Great approach!

8. I would agree with all of the above. I have taught writing Pie Corbett style with year 2's for the past year and they have loved it and so have I! Their writing improved so much - have lots of resources to use - will put them on if anyone is interested?

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

10. Rossicat - yes please to posting your resources. We're looking at Talk for Writing too and any help in improving my Y2's writing would me much appreciated.

11. porker

porker New commenter

12. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Not sure where you are based but a few years ago I went on a course run by YPO (Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation) in Leeds. Pie Corbett was inspirational and everyone came away from his course buzzing.
    This link will get you to the Literacy Courses for the year
    http://www.ypo.co.uk/index.jsp?m=&t=productsinset&cat=LITERACY+%26+MFL&cid=6
    Not sure if Pie Corbett is running any of them??? Ring for details.............

13. I have a mixed year 1/2 class who are very below national levels for writing. I would welcome any ideas or suggestions on raising attainment. I have heard of Pie Corbett but don't know much about his approach, I am happy to invest in books is someone can suggest the most appropriate ones. My children struggle to use their imagination as well as the writing standards being low. I want to enthuse them so they love telling and writing stories.

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The Bumper Book of Story Telling into writing KS1

15. The Pie Corbett approach is brilliant! You should see the difference in the children's writing after just one unit. Definitely recommend you give it a go.

16. Would be great if you put some ideas on Thankyou

17. Hello!
    I also teach year 2 and am trying the Pie Corbett stuff with them, they love it and its really raising the quality of their writing. I would be really greatful to have a copy of the resources that you used. Thank you so much x x

18. Yes please - we are starting off with Hansel and Gretel and fairy tales.