1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pie Corbett with Nursery and Reception, anyone?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by beach34, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Just been told we are to do the Pie Corbett method with FKS!!
    30 books per year BUT 10 stories learnt with all the actions.

Has anyone already been doing this?

2. Hi. We have been doing this in nursery for the past year, however we only do one book each half term not 10 or 30. It has worked really well. The children love being able to join in with the story and they soon pick up the 'story language'and the actions (we have selected just 5 or 6 actions for them to use, then they learn a few more when they get to reception). Many of them are now able to tell the stories themselves and it has given them the confidence and the structure to be able to make up their own stories which very few were able to do before. They love coming to me to tell me their stories and ask me to write it down for them.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Could you explain a bit about this, please? Google wasn't very helpful.

4. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

Hi,

I have been making resources for Pie Corbett's Storytelling into Writing for our LEA and at the current moment there are 6 stories for each level. Reception Stories are The Little Red Hen, Peter and the Wolf, The Enormous Turnip, The Billy Goats Gruff, The Gingerbread Man and Going for a Song.
    We've had 2 visits from Pie Corbett with another one coming up and I think the idea is excellent. We have been doing it at KS2 as well and the results are great. It's a bit difficult to explain but I will try if anyone wants to email me: bevevans22@aol.com

Bev ;0)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'll email you later - visitors en route and the place is a dump!

7. bevevans22

bevevans22 Administrator

No problem, inky - I've emailed you.

Bev ;0)

8. Bev, could you email me about this. Sounds interesting. How would it work in Y1 and continuous provision?

nutty200736@hotmail.co.uk

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. Huge thanks for the info Bev and thanks for that link Msz. Really helpful and something I intend to research to help my class' writing.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, bev. I'll take a look right now.

12. So glad I saw this thread. I went on a pie corbett course last year and loved the idea of storytelling. Have done a couple of stories with my YR class - this has reminded me to do one this half term! We have also been trialling the same idea in MFL - early stages.
    Would love to know of stories others have done - I did Snow White, 3 billy goats and Gingerbread Man. Have just got a new camcorder for my class so would be great now to be able to record the actions and then play back on IWB for an independent task!
    Thanks!

13. Hi Bev

We've been on a storytelling project for the last few years and you seem to be covering lots of the stories we do. Have you copies of the simplified (shorter) stories with actions as this is was I find the most difficult. I am looking at ways to provide resources/ strategies for children to invent their own stories in reception - linked with clear story structure and repetition. I would be really interested in hearing about the work you've been doing.
    gwarri@hotmail.com

14. Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear how positive people are feeling about this. I am really looking forward to giving it a go now!

Goldengirl2 . . . we are to do 30 stories and then repeat them in Reception using a different 10(of the 30) to add the actions. This will continue in to Yr 1 so after 3 years all 30 stories will be learnt by heart. Not too sure about this as our kids need loads of input as the families do not give much support with books.

Bev, I've emailed you!

Msz - excellent link, thanks so much.

beach x x x

15. Could anyone who has been using this tell me a bit more about it? It sounds really interesting.

16. The idea is very simple and very effective. The class do storymaking every day for about 15 minutes or so. this involves learning a story orally - the teacher tells the story and the children gradually join in until they know the whole thing word for word. it is rather like singing 'The farmer's in his den'.... You use a story map to help the children as it provides a bold visual reminder. use actions, especially to go with the connectives - as it makes them memorable.

With a reception class they would know something simple like The Gingerbread man by the middle of the 2nd week. The class chant it together communally, then move into story circles till in the end they can tell it together in pairs. Once they know the story really well, then the teacher leads the class in creating a new story by innovating on the known pattern. Produce a new story map that shows the changes. these could be simple substitutions (so you have gingerbread tiger) or embellishments where you might add in extra description or scenes or dialogue. The children then change their maps to make their own innovation which they retell in pairs till they have a fluent new story. If they can write they would then move into writing - the while class story is written in shared writing and the children write (or record in another way) their own.

The third aspect to the idea is for the class to have at least once a week a story inventing session where you make up a story together, revisiting key patterns and creating new ideas.

In this way it would be perfectly possible to learn about 10 stories in reception and another ten or so in year 1 - maybe after that about one every half term - this gives about 25 - 30 by the end of year 2. Actually the number doesn't matter - what matters is developing the children as storytellers.

We have used this in our school to dramatic effect. The constant repetitive story telling helps the children acquire the linguistic patterns that they need in order to create their own. The method is multi-sensory, great fun and actually works! You can hear children using the language patterns in their play!

The opnly difficulty is that the teacher has to learn the stories first of all. It is easiest if you record them and then play the story in the car or on an mp3 player on yr way to work. Actually, it is quite easy and if you are nervous then do a double act with yr teaching assistant and use a script.

Good luck - it is great fun and it works well.

17. Thanks Jack Turnip.It sounds great! Does it fit in with the new phases Literacy and can you cover the other genres as well? Are there any books you could recommend to look at?

18. I am hoping to take story making on more next year. Msz the link was great for more info. Jack Turnip- do you plan to do the same stories again each year if you have the same year group. I have heard that the stories need to have repetition in them. Do you ahve a list of stories that worked well for each year group? Do you link other curriculum areas into the story too, or keep it more separate?