1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pie Corbett - story telling in Foundation Stage.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Flame17, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hi
    I have only recently found out about Pie Corbett and his approaches.
    We are wanting to do the storytelling with actions beginning in Lower Foundation and going up through KS1.
    Which resource books will be my best bet,is it the "storyteller" books I need, or would you recommend another?
    Thanks for any help

2. Hi - I use the storytelling into writing one. Have laminated about 8 stories last year and the children soon learn the stories and actions. Once you have been through stories a few times the children choose the story maps in CI and it is lovely to hear them telling each other the stories. Even the shy ones sneak up and have a go when they think you are not listening!

3. Did you use the stories suggested in the teachers' book? We looked at them and felt they were a strange selection (particularly for our children who come into Foundation with little experience of stories). We'd planned on teaching them traditional stories eg Gingerbread man, 3 pigs etc with actions. What do you think? I'd be interested in hearing ideas from someone who's actually put this into place

4. Yes the stories were too difficult I felt. I used gingerbread man, goldilocks, little red hen etc - the children know the general sequence and therfore they were easier to remember. The actions for 'special story words' are the important bit I think. Just make it very repetitive, and make time to do it every day almost. Certainly helps their storytelling skills, and extends their vocabulary.

5. hello!
    are the actions something you can share with us or would i need to buy the book, as i can see the value of using actions to enhance stories. probably a stupid question. thanks

6. So it's the Storytelling into Writng that has all the actions in and everything I would need to get started? What are those storyteller books then?
    Ta

7. EBC

EBC New commenter

I went to the course run by Pie where he taught us some of the actions. As a group we retold, and retold and retold the story of the little red hen - lol.
    Its quite hard to explain the actions on here, I think if you search on the Primary thread - someone typed them out. Something along the lines of
    One day ....open your hands like you're opening a book (large book)
    who .... (who lived..) index finger circled up by your ear
    went for a walk....fingers walkig motion
    eat/drink ....as you would expect...motions
    I guess you can figure out the obvious ones..
    I tried it out with my year 1's at the end of the year. It was fun.
    This year i'll start soon, and will take photo'sof children doing the actions and put them up on display, sort of like a 'We love to tell stories' display.

8. Thank you x

9. Book is called The Bumper book of storytelling into writing KS1 - published by Clown publications.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You can get the basics HERE

11. hmm, just working out actions for Gingerbread Man - why is my 17 yr old looking at me like that??

12. Re: Pie Corbett: Thank you for this - I've just had a quick read through and all is a lot clearer now!
    ...I'm getting a bit desperate on what and how to organise my literacy sessions! I've a mixed foundation stage unit [nursery and reception- 3 to 5 year olds] and having taught nursery only for 10 years I now find I'm struggling to find a planning format for literacy and indeed to know what to include in one for the reception aged children. I've managed to sort out the phonics programme with the help of Letters and Sounds and some advice gleaned from this forum but don't really know what to do as far as all the other elements of literacy are concerned! Should I plan for all the headings on the EYFS 40-60 months every week/ fortnight or what? Any advice/help/pointers would be gratefully received!
    Anticipating your speedy reply! Marilyn Chelache