1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Picturesque Village Protests Against Migrants...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Grabthar, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Grabthar

Grabthar Established commenter

Hmm...now this is where it starts go get interesting - when the issue moves out of run-down urban areas and into leafy, middle-class areas, just the sort of place where people like, oh just off the top of my head, Emma Thompson and Charlotte Church choose to live.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...grants-near-villages-rock-star-dad-lives.html
    These intolerant villagers must obviously be right-wing, racist Islamophobes, mustn't they? Or maybe they are just realists and know what an influx of migrants will mean to their quiet, idyllic lifestyle. And I'll restate this: what about housing our own people first?

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Yawn.

InkyP and Lascarina like this.
  3. Grabthar

Sleepy, there, aspen?

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Bored I suspect.
    I can empathise

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. Grabthar

Good. We can't all like the same things, can we?

6. Didactylos4

As it seems that you aren't managing to convert many posters on here, don't you think you ought to try and find somewhere where you might get a more sympathetic hearing?
    All you are doing at the moment is ensuring that the cause you seem to espouse gets laughed at and dismissed. Counter-productive?

7. Grabthar

Well, as you put it that way, I feel really offended, having the thin skin that I do, and I'll give up posting here because you've upset me so much. I know, I'll post threads about cats in future, just so I feel accepted by all of youyou. Then you'll love me and I'll feel good about myself again.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Thought so ;)
    The song isn't important is it?
    Being able to sing on here is though

Noja likes this.
  9. Grabthar

The song is always important, as is the singer. Ones on the state of the EU represent tragic opera!

Joe_Pubes likes this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Who is "we"?

11. Ghost-of-Christmas-Past

Ghost-of-Christmas-Past Established commenter

You me our children Eureka.

12. Ghost-of-Christmas-Past

Pay attention at the back of class.

13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Is the Ghost of Christmas past answering on Grabthar's behalf?

14. Ghost-of-Christmas-Past

Don't shout out. Hands up!

15. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

About 6 people ??!! And none of us are homeless! Here I am RWNs - ready to engage, so engage.

Come on RWNs, who is "we" when it comes to "our" homeless?

I'm sure the leafy villagers would object to a housing estate (of whatever nature) for just about anyone on their doorstep .

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. Joe_Pubes

Joe_Pubes Senior commenter

The rich only start to get serious about it when it affects them.

17. Joe_Pubes

Who's laughing? Who's dismissing it?

18. Joe_Pubes

You may not be but many are. You don't care about that though, do you?

Who are the RWNs?

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That article is scurrilously involving a relative of a famous person when she had expressed no opinion on the matter. She was asked what her father, who lives nearby, would think. She answered that she'd be keeping him informed of developments.
    Given that the centre is currently used for (foreign) students over the summer months anyway, the temporary occupants that might be there in the future are hardly going to swamp them. They don't complain about the current users of the building being too many for their community in the summer, do they?
    My sister worked at such a refugee centre in Yorkshire at the time of the Vietnamese boat people crisis. They are there for a short time whilst their status is processed and are then re-located to where there is a surplus of empty housing , or where they can join extended family or friends. The clients are kept busy with English tuition, cultural awareness sessions, advice on accessing courses and work, getting NI numbers etc. I never heard her mention of trouble in the local community in the short time people were there.

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I care about homeless people, sure. All of them. All over the world.

Right wing nationalists.