1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Picking up teaching for furloughed staff

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CabbageWhite20, May 9, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I was just wondering if much of this is going on where you are? We’ve been fortunate so far, in the sense that most subjects that have been furloughed are practical and are simply not being offered at the moment.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We have a mix.
    Some teachers teaching combined classes and some subjects are just not being taught.
    It's an appalling set up.
    Practical subjects can be taught online...look at Joe Wicks making a small fortune from offering 'PE lessons'.

3. CabbageWhite20

I don’t think it’s that they can’t be taught online (mostly they can) it’s that the school can save money by furloughing those staff.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

I agree about the money saving.
    However the message to those staff is that they and their subject/work aren't important.

While furloughing staff is essential for many independents and everyone understands the need to use that system at the moment. There are fair and unfair ways of doing it. A rotation system would mean children get a broad and balanced curriculum, some practical lessons away from computers and all teachers see the fairness and feel valued. Just dumping some subjects/areas from the school for the duration is less well received.

5. CabbageWhite20

Yep. Not well received by those who are furloughed, or by those who are working more hours than ever. It’s a horrible situation but I don’t think there’s an easy answer.

6. CabbageWhite20

I also wonder if some of those who are working so hard now (usually teachers of academic subjects) will actually be more vulnerable to redundancy. Many of our furloughed staff are in small departments, so for the subjects to continue they need to come back. Our academic subjects have more staff so if overall pupil numbers go down it’ll probably be some of us who go.

I also wonder if, once term ends, we’ll all be furloughed - and by then furlough may well be 60% and schools not topping it up.

I’ve been doing really well but I’m feeling pretty gloomy this weekend.

7. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

I'm covering so many more lessons & year groups than I would in school, just lucky that in our school teachers move class to class to teach, otherwise I don't think I'd have coped, but I am working a lot more hours than I'm paid for!!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Schools aren't all topping up anyway.
    Many furloughed teachers are already on 80% pay. Which for April, May, June is bad enough. If it drops to 60% for July and August, it will be disastrous for many teachers.

It's hard to be sympathetic to those working really hard when you are one of the desperate to be working at all ones. It would have been better to set a rotation so everyone feels valued and everyone gets and extended break before or after working too many hours.

Or keep everyone on, but have pay cuts for all.

9. CabbageWhite20

Yes, it’s rough all round isn’t it?

Ro13 likes this.
  10. caterpillartobutterfly

Yeps... the state sector is looking rather appealing right now!

11. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

My head has covered the 20% for now! I feel sympathy for all because everyone has suffered, are suffering, may continue to suffer.
    I can't speak for the staff working in your school, but the few of us in my school who are working, are doing an average of 10 hours more a week and yes I suppose compared to some we are lucky not to have 20% of wage cut, but I am one of the lowest paid teachers so think my head was clever in choosing who would teach & who she'd furlough. o_O

12. caterpillartobutterfly

I imagine so... Ours is a similar state of affairs. ;)
    Yeps sums it up really.

Ro13 likes this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

Soooo now will you two tell me all the positive and lovely bits please?
    I'm back on Friday (training and so on) and then teaching from Monday.
    It'll be ok won't it?

14. CabbageWhite20

On site? On line? Which bits did you want to know? But yes, definitely good if they’ve taken you out of (off?) furlough.

15. CabbageWhite20

If online teaching - which platform are you using? If I can help you not to have to make all of the mistakes I did them I’m happy to! Are you doing live lessons?

16. caterpillartobutterfly

Online from Monday, with a rota for onsite next week...don't know what yet.
    Then, I assume, on site from after half term.

17. CabbageWhite20

I’m sure you’ll be fine. We didn’t get our online act together until after Lockdown so I found learning how to use the online learning platform/helping the children learn to use it quite a steep learning curve. Your kids should all be up to speed now though which will really help you.
    My main advice would be not to spend ages trying to work out how to do things - other staff should be able to point you towards what has worked for them so you can piggyback onto the strategies that already working.
    We have pretty much 100% attendance still but the quality of most students’ work is lower than when they are on site. A lot of what I feel I am doing is keeping connections going between school and pupil, providing pastoral support and doing the best I can in terms of their academic progress. Good luck. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

18. caterpillartobutterfly