1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pick me up.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tolkien28, Dec 19, 2019.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Feel totally stupid writing this post, but just want a total outsider's point of view. I work as a supply teacher between two primary schools and I'm treated really well. However, today I watched my colleagues inundated by cards and presents and stupidly I came home this evening and let this colour my judgement of the day, feeling low. Don't know why this has got to me, because I know that I'm miles happier doing this type of work rather than being in one school inundated with paperwork and under stress.

sodalime and (deleted member) like this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have never received more than a handful of cards and rarely more than a £1 chocolate gift.
    It's not the same in all schools.

Jamvic, tolkien28, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Just think of the work which the normal teachers will have to do over the holidays. I’m a supply teacher too. I hear quite a lot of people mentioning the issue of gifts. Recently someone said they stopped working as a TA altogether because they never got any gifts, whereas teachers were inundated.
    A tired judgement is never a good judgement.

freckle06, Jamvic, tolkien28 and 2 others like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Just retired from a secondary school full of well off (and some pretty wealthy) pupils. Rarely got a card and never got a present.

5. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

It's just stuff. Treat yourself to happy thoughts. X

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A load of tat? That parents only buy to show off to other parents because they think they " should"?

"Oh, I spent more than Christopher's mum on the teacher's present!"

No, thanks.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Don’t stress about it. I got loads of stuff when I was a class teacher. The minute I became a HT it was zero.

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I am not allowed to accept personal gifts from my clients, not even a cup of coffee. Unprofessional and inappropriate because it blurs the boundaries. I think teach should be the same - so no hints or suggestions of favouritism, no possibility of buying favours on the children's behalf, no awkward feeling in the staffroom when one teacher comes in with a better gift haul than their colleague who teaches bottom sets and therefore less likely to get anything.

9. grumpydogwoman

10. tolkien28

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I totally agree. I think i'm just feeling sorry for myself and in reality it's what the children say that makes my day and how they positively react to me being there.

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This...

...this...

...and most of all, this...

Worth much more than a few soaps, boxes of Ferrero Rocher or World’s Best Teacher mugs.

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

To be fair it isn't always like that, when very ill in hospital years ago a few 6th form students came to see me, they were so sweet, they brought me a teeny Teddy bear and card, but the most touching thing was that they showed genuine concern and even though I was in pretty bad shape I will never forget that.

The interaction is sometimes more important than the gift... but in the OP case the sanity more important than the interaction... chin up, you have us ;)

Laphroig, Jamvic and tolkien28 like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

6th formers? Different.

But come ON!

The mums (yes, it's always the mums) dashing into Tesco on the last day. "OMG, what can we get Miss Titmouse?"

"Er, mum, why do we have to get her anything?"

"Are you crazy, Lydia? You think I'm going to be one of those mums who forget! I know you don't even like her that much but that's NOT THE POINT! You want me to look bad? Get that mug! It's reduced!"

14. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Like Catmother, I worked in secondary for most of my career and rarely got anything - perhaps a card from younger pupils, but very few presents - perhaps some flowers every 5 years when my tutor group left after GCSEs.

I have worked part time in a primary school for 6 years now and never got anything because I am not a class teacher. I honestly don't give it a second thought and am astonished that you do.

And like Monica, I am not keen on all this teacher present stuff - some families are very hard up and I would prefer they spent it on their children, and for those who are better off to donate to a food bank or something.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

1 bad lesson = lifetime failure. :rolleyes:

16. tolkien28

Sorry that I didn't explain myself better, I agree that presents are totally overrated and in all honesty I think it was me just having a down day and I was probably far too hasty in posting my thoughts. As a full time teacher, I always appreciated thank you cards more than anything.

cissy3 and Jamvic like this.
  17. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I agree, it will be the parents that decide, not the children, and it will be automatic, the teacher whose register their child is on. The parents won't even know your name, how ever much their child is learning from you.

Don't take it personally

xx

18. grumpydogwoman

I remember one of my TAs was always showered with gifts. No surprise there. She sucked up to the parents most assiduously. And her efforts were duly rewarded. Big deal.

19. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

I got a handshake and ‘I love this miss’ (science) from a lad in year 8 for whom social stuff is not easy. Worth more than anything you can buy.

20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Don't apologise.

It's easy to feel under-appreciated, especially on supply.

And at the end of a long term too....
    Sometimes it's the most odd things that can set one off......enjoy your much deserved hols! :)

sodalime likes this.