1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Piano tuition

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by stupot101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Which part of the country do you liv in?

2. stupot101

Sorry for the typo 'live'

3. I live in Kent/Medway.

4. stupot101

You should be ok if you live in an affluent area. I was thinking of doing something similar.

i will get back to you tomorrow.....Can I PM you though......

5. stupot101

OK. part 1

Mr. Fred Bloggs BA (Hons) LLCM, LRSM, (replace with existing qualifications eg B.Mus etc. )
    Has vacancies for :
    * Piano tuition (inc. classical, rock, jazz)
    * Examination grades (ABRSM, LCM, Trinity Guildhall)
    * Theoretical examinations (up to grade 8)
    * Coaching for competitions and performances
    * Competative rates
    * Beginners (adults and children) very welcome
    Telphone : 0123 456789 Email myname@hotmail.com

This is a starting point for your advert. You can change the wording slightly, to suit your ad.

WWW.vistaprint.co.uk will provide business cards for you at no cost....
    www.hometutordirectory.com apperas to be quite good.

places to advertise:

Church halls, local newspaper, leafleting (expensive) local shop windows. there are also music teaching websites, which I need to look into. also try www.abrsm.org . teachers from all three boards congregate there. another website worth a look at is www.pianoworld.com (only discovered it recently!!!)
    Always advertise the various styles.... classical, rock etc (even if you prefer classical!!!)
    Always advertise different examination boards - flexibility - you may have someone who has recently moved, and/lost a teacher and would like to sit their exam ie. have learnt the peices etc and would like to sit it (I'm sure you get the picture) The exam boards are easy enough to find out about online these days anyway.
    Adults - who can learn in the day......
    you can also sit Jazz piano exams, Trinity Rockschool exams Keyboard exams (LCM and Trinity) or Classical (LCM, ABRSM, Trinity Guildhall)

You would be well advised to loo into the ISM - incorporated Society of Musicians
    They will give you an indication of fees and insurance VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

of course don't forget the Musicians Union for insurance costs and any extras as well....

part two on it's way...

6. Thank you stupot101 great help. Please do pm me if you like.

Thanks again

Ethnic

7. stupot101

Ok... Part 2

You could also advertise the fact that you concentrate on aural and musicianship skills - very important for those who may take singing exams !!

Accompanying for examinations (contact a local representative for ABRSM, or LCM or Trinity)

You may also if you have the room offer group piano lessons or group theory lessons (or group musicianship lessons)

Decide on how long you wish the lessons to last - half hour lesson, forty minute lessons or 45 minute lessons..... in order to charge accordingly...... (ISM will help you to sort out the costings in proportion)

Payment..... now different teachers require payment in different ways. Some charge per lesson... others charge on a monthly basis, whilst others charge on a term or half termly basis. The advantages of charging on a half/termly basis is that you don't lose out if your pupil doesn't turn up to lessons.. This is more difficult to enforce if pupils only pay per lesson - although a month in advance is a possibility. -- get some kind of contract written up.

Of course you could visit the pupils instead of them coming to you - but you should still look into insurance. You also need to consider travelling costs and time to travel.

Hope this helps.....

8. stupot101

Sorry.. I HATE THE TES!!!!! it should have posted in paragraphs...... I'm using chrome....