1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

piano books for teenagers

Discussion in 'Music' started by jubilada, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Has anyone used Play Piano for teenagers series by Alan Haughton or Hal Leonard Adult Piano method? What do you think of them? It is so annoying when there is no music shop nearby and all you can see on line is the cover!
    I am looking for a good tutor book for a teenager, near beginner level - any recommendations?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

3. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Thanks florian - link didn't work but managed to find a bit more info. Have you used this book for teaching?

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sorry about the link. It looks like TES have objected to the word product being abbreviated to its first four letters within the URL and have subsituted asterisks. Substitute the word p.r.o.d (without the dots) for the three asterisks:
    http://shop.rhinegold.co.uk/shop/***/Haughton-Alan-Play-Piano-Teenage-Repertoire-Book-1/925640
    I haven't used the book, but it looks very basic - even the second volume only goes up to about Grade 1 standard. The sample page looks rather dull, but it is the sort of thing you would do in the first lesson or so for a beginner.

5. I find the Play Piano book 1 very good for getting teens off the ground, they can quickly make progress, but then I tend to have moved them onto a second book of easy pop tunes or easy classical, and only dip into the Play Piano books again to introduce or explain a new concept or terminology. They are a very good reference for musical notes, language, keys, signs etc, so I encourage my pupils to buy both for that reason. But they are good, for young and old beginners.

6. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Ooh, am currently looking for something to start off a new keyboard group on (KS3), so might try this!

7. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

Thanks for the replies!