1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Piano book suggestions

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mrs Music, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

I have a piano student (aged 12) who has recently passed her grade 1 exam. Without rushing into grade 2 pieces straight away can anyone recommend a nice book of suitable pieces? It's been a while since I've taught a student at this level. Thanks in advance.

2. armandine2

armandine2 Occasional commenter

I'm surprised, you seem to suggest there is a gulf between these grades. This year's ABRSM grade 2 piano piece; Military Minuet - Haydn, is of a similar level as the grade 1 pieces. I can't recommend a book, I would consider finding a genre though; Modern, Romantic, classical or Baroque, I wonder which one suits/needs work.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Everyone likes Upgrade. At least if you've not used it before and aren't sick to death of the pieces! Pupils generally seem to like them.

4. There cetainly is a gap if not a gulf. Military minuet is much harder - those semiquavers and the many changes of hand position gave my confident grade 1nner a hard time. I think we tend to look on these pieces from the graet hight of out own grade 8's and lump the all together as "easy" however to a grade one student, the grade two pieces present quite a challenge.
    Anyhow, yes, upgrade is brilliant! However, I also get my students to learn another three grade one pieces first, then spend a term on some up grade and finally a term on the grade 2 pieces. I learn all the scales in the first two terms. This also means that they do a lot of reading - which I find is the slowest thing to develop.

5. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post; I think she could probably do her grade 2 exam this winter if she wanted, but she doesn't want to do an exam until summer next year, plus it's much nicer not to just chug through exam syllabi.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. Christopher Norton does loads of jazzy stuff.
    What tutor book did she use? Are there follow up books? Sometimes there are repertoire books - Piano Time does a lot of various styles.
    One of my used a nice book last term but the title escapes me. It was a book of classical tunes simplified. It has pieces that have been used in AB exams (Now is the month of maying is in one of the books in this series)
    There are also books which are compilations of 'best loved' pieces that have been used in exams over the years. You could look at those.
    TG does compilations of pieces of various standards on different themes.