1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physics Textbook KS3

Discussion in 'Science' started by thecattery, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Hi
    Please could anyone recommend a KS3 book on physics? I am home educating my daughter who would be in Year 8 if she was at school. She was at school for Year 7 and the first half-term of Year 8, so she has done some physics. When I started to home educate her last October, she said that she did not want to do any science (much to my relief!). However, she has now changed her mind and wants to keep up with physics. She was in the top 5 in her year for science at school, so she does need something challenging.
    Now I am a absolute dunce at the subject, so what we need is a book that we can both understand and preferably one for which an answer book can be bought. We prefer books that have clear explanations to those which have lots of pretty pictures.
    Many thanks

2. Hi
    Please could anyone recommend a KS3 book on physics? I am home educating my daughter who would be in Year 8 if she was at school. She was at school for Year 7 and the first half-term of Year 8, so she has done some physics. When I started to home educate her last October, she said that she did not want to do any science (much to my relief!). However, she has now changed her mind and wants to keep up with physics. She was in the top 5 in her year for science at school, so she does need something challenging.
    Now I am a absolute dunce at the subject, so what we need is a book that we can both understand and preferably one for which an answer book can be bought. We prefer books that have clear explanations to those which have lots of pretty pictures.
    Many thanks

3. Most key stage 3 textbooks are science books rather than just physics. The CPG revision guide for key stage 3 is quite colourful and you used to be able to get a key stage 3 physics workbook with answers to use along side it.
    If you are not following the national curriculum for science why not use the Dorling Kingsley books on a physics topic your daughter is interested in. They have lots of pictures and interesting facts. Some have suggestions for experiments to try at home and web site links. There is usually a good range of these in most public libraries.

4. Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I did notice that most KS3 book were for general science, so the Longman book is probably the best bet. She is not really interested in science as such, but we both felt that she ought to do at least one, and physics seems the least terrifying as she is good at maths.
    Thanks again

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are you in the UK?

6. Yes, I am in the UK.
    Since my last message though, I have realised that the UK exams all require a practical. Am now considering CIE IGCSE as an alternative as their is a no coursework/practical option. However, it looks frightening!

7. Sorry, I didn't explain fully! My daughter is KS3 at the moment, but looking ahead, if she does opt for the IGCSE later, would the normal KS3 textbooks prepare her enough for hwne we start the IGCSE syllabus?

8. I was going to suggest this before, but why not just start on the GCSE work now? Quite often they repeat things that are in KS3, or do totally different things anyway, but with the likes of a "physics for you" text book you will be able to get all the information you need. Plus there are lots of internet sites.

I don't know anything about the IGCSE, though. Sorry.

9. Thanks sideshow.
    That might be a good idea, as I feel it would take us a lot longer to prepare for IGCSE than it would if she was being taught by a proper teacher.

10. HI,
    hey did dis website helped you regarding the Ks3 books u r lookng for , i m facing a similar issue only in my case , i m lookng for a good ks3 physics books to use it as an teaching aide,if possible pls mail me the name of those books, my email id is sanjaydey.dey07@gmail.com

11. I would suggest 'Physics for You' by Keith Johnson. There is a a 2011 version on Amazon, although we have olver editions in school. The content is complete & covers many syllabuses, so as long as you know what is on your syllabus, you can chose which sections to omit.
    It has questions at the end of chapters too, however, I don't think the answers are included.
    In addition, get hold of some of he IGCSE past papers for the syllabus you decide to do. They should be on the exam board website along with mark schemes.
    Finally, take care in chosing the correct IGCSE. As I understand it the AQA one may not let you do Physcis as a 'stand alone' qualification. You may have to do Chem & Bio to get a recognised GCSE. The other two have 'stand alone' Physics exams but of one of them (and I can't remember which) my colleague said he '..... could smell the dust...' as he read the syllabus. It was old fashioned, a little uninspiring and possibly out of date.