1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physics/Science GTP

Discussion in 'Science' started by MarkS, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Hi there,
    No help with jobs - sorry - but if you have a Physics degree, you should be OK, as long as recruiters can see a potential teacher in you!
    I'm sure you've already contacted all of your local GTP providers, and I'm sure they'll be a physics job out there...good luck!
    Mark

2. If you've been doing a subject knowledge enhancement I guess you don't have a physics degree? If you are already working in a school how come you're not going to GTP there? My school has supported GTPs in the past but they have tended to be people we already know through another avenue, former TAs, cover supervisors or technicians. We don't take a risk on someone out of the blue (we did that once and he quit within 6 weeks!), mainly because we need to know that you'll fit in with the dept and we prefer a known quantity in that respect. You will find it easier if you're looking for a science GTP placement, I don't know any schools where you'd teach physics only.

3. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

No, I don't have a Physics degree, but a good degree from a highly reputable university and am currently doing the most intensive (high number of credits at half an undergraduate degree in one year) SKE course in the UK.
    The reason I'm not doing a GTP at the school I was working at is because they have a fully staffed science department (a rarity, I know) and aren't looking to add another staff member that they can't offer adequate teaching. Also, it was an independent school and would have to support the GTP financially. So the combination of no job and funding were an issue for them. I wish the situation were different, because I completely understand many schools' concerns with having a new hire for a GTP place.
    The friends I have who've done GTPs (3) have all recommended that I seek out the placement myself and then find the university, though I'm not entirely sure why; does anyone else share this view? I suppose this is to enhance that relationship with the school, knowing that they want me on their GTP, not just wanting someone...
    I guess I'm just concerned about rumoured government plans to axe the PGCE programme and think the more vocational approach would suit me better.

4. wire247

wire247 New commenter

Sent you a pm the other day.