1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physics practical

Discussion in 'Science' started by antilowfat, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of any good websites/ resources that have information on investigating compressing a spring as a model for a crumple zone in a car?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Just to add, the investigation is supposed to involve dropping different masses from a certain height on to the spring, then measuring the compression length of the spring each time.

Thaaaank you!

3. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

Are you by any chance doing the Edexcel P2 Topic 9 IAA?

I haven't heard of any one being able to do this practical successfully!

4. You must be joking. A car crumple zone with any springiness would be lethal! In a collision it would increase the change of momentum and thus the impact forces acting on passengers.

5. Yup! I'm afraid so.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We do this with year 8. We use a good old fashioned dynamics trolley (with the spring removed). Put an egg in the trolley with an elestic band seat belt and run it backwards down a slope into something solid (we use an upended bench as a wall). Use newspaper rolled up into a tube as the crumple zone. Try 1, 2, 3 4 ets sheets of paper 15cm x 15 cm. make tubes, stand on one end and add masses until they crumple. Choose the one that gives a reasonable strength before giving way and then make some more tubes. Sellotape to front of trolley and roll down slope. Increase gradient of slope until egg breaks!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I was observed teaching this lesson by a Principal from an American High School. Afterwards he said that the kids in my class learned more about car safety in one lesson than the kids in his school learned from a whole series of lessons in their motor workshop!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can't take credit for the link. However the practical with the egg and rolled paper does work. I have the photos to prove it!