1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physics PGCE reading list

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Bowshock, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I've just been offered a place on my first choice for a PGCE. So while I'm still in an enthusiastic mood. Does anyone have any pointers to recommended reading lists. Obviously the university will have their own reading list but it would be nice to feel I'm doing something before they start sending me all their information.

2. wkclark

wkclark New commenter

Hi!

Some books I have found/ do find helpful are:

Teacher toolkit

Make it stick

Any old Physics textbooks from any level

Physics for you

Teaching Secondary Physics

The Lazy Teacher's handbook

Any Bill Rogers books (helpful for behaviour management)

If you teach any A-Level:

Calculations for A-Level Physics

A-Level Physics (Muncaster)

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

The Resourceful Physics Teacher by Keith Gibbs is excellent if you can get hold of a copy (I don't know if it's still in print - if not, see what you can find on Amazon etc.)

It's a great little book with lots of engaging ideas for demos/practicals that you might not think to do; indeed some of them may be things that the teachers in your placement schools have not heard of before. I still use it, and I'm about to start my 8th year of teaching. :)

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

For behaviour management Taking Care of Behaviour by Paul Dix. This one together with the Bill Rogers books will help you avoid many mistakes in behaviour management. I would start with the Taking Care of Behaviour book first since it explains how to set up basic routines and other things like how to stay in control of your own emotions.

I can also recommend the Lazy Teacher's Handbook.

See if you can get some of these second hand off Amazon to save yourself a fortune.