1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physics book, memory aides and practice questions

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Scottish Mike, May 8, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I wanted to post a link to this book here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/20-80-Physics/dp/B004ZQRIXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1304877798&sr=8-1
    It's another kindle book, but of course you don't need a kindle to read it as you can download the kindle reading software for the pc for free (well worth it as there's a lot of older free books (the classics + some terrible rubbish as well)).
    This book is interesting in that it doesn't purport to teach the underlying physics. What it does is teach students a variety of mnemonics to recall and rearrange the 35 or so major equations in the GCSE and IGCSE physics syllabus.
    It is interesting because it is very effective with pupils who do not have a good grasp of mathematics and allows them to gain a great deal of confidence through recall and application. It contains two ways to rearrange the equations graphically and it gives advice on approaching and answering long answer physics questions.
    All of the questions in the book have fully worked answers as do the examples (over 200 in total) allowing the students to practice with confidence.
    The most interesting part of the book is that using the mnemonics, the author believes that he can teach the 35 or so equations to students (without the practice part - which is the rather large remaining part of the book) in about 2-3 hours.
    Well worth having a look. As it states in the book, the intention isn't to teach the passion for the subject but to offer the underpinnings from which the passion can develop.
    I'd be interested to know what some of the other teachers here think about it...
    many thanks,
    Mike.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I clicked on the link, and wondered if you're the author. If so, maybe this should have been posted in the Marketplace forum, rather than in here.

3. I am indeed, the reason I posted it in here is that I was hoping that people who don't know me would glance at it and give some honest feedback. There is a link on the right hand side that allows you to download the first 10% for free which is more than enough to do this (the send sample now link). It's my first book and it's the culimination of the last few years so I'm quite pleased to pass it on now. The rest of the book is the same format as the first part and there isn't so much of a plot...it won't leave you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen in the remaining 90%.
    I will check out the marketplace as well however, many thanks, Mike.