1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Physical Educators Experiences when Teaching Students with Dyspraxia? MSc Student Research

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by co274, Aug 22, 2019.

1. co274

co274 New commenter

Hey, I'm a MSc Student studying MSc Sport and Exercise Sciences. For my MSc project I'm looking into experiences the physical educators face when teaching students with dyspraxia. So I'm creating this thread to try and get a discussion talking about your own-

Experiences
    Techniques
    Barriers
    Solutions
    Preconceptions

And comparing your own experiences with others who have shared their own experiences.

Thank you for taking your time out to read this and for participation.

All the best

Christy

2. cyoxall

cyoxall New commenter

Hi Christy,

I might be resurrecting this thread late in the day but I have a few things to go on this one.

In terms of dealing with DCD diagnosed pupils this doesn't happen all that often...The referral process for getting a DCD diagnosis is so long winded it doesn't often happen (at least in my experience...)

In terms of dealing with those whom I may suspect have DCD that is far more often. I have the luxury of being fairly well trained in recognising the signs or symptoms of it given it was also my dissertation subject and my mother has been involved in dealing with children with DCD for around 15 years. She works with Michelle Lee and I have worked with them on a few occasions to upskill myself.

Therefore getting experience with these pupils is easy as I have a large number of pupils who would end up on the scale for DCD but will never be assessed.

In terms of techniques it all comes down to basic movements, repeated and specific work on strengthening balance and core strength. If its in a general PE lesson then this has to be done more subtly, probably with less complex skills that are still related to the topic I am teaching.

Barriers are simply the more complex skills or movements that the pupil may have to perform. If they know they can't do it then they typically demonstrate lower self esteem therefore try less. Breaking this stigma is key and giving less complex but still related movements or skills always helps.

In terms of preconceptions most teachers I spoke to believe it just means that the child is not as capable of performance. Which isn't strictly true. We have at least moved on from "clumsy child" syndrome so it is better understood however there was little focus on these conditions when I was training. It may be different now but it most certainly was not discussed in depth as it was believed it would fall into differentiation and knowing the pupil. Not necessarily knowing the actual condition and how to help...

Chris