1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

physical descriptions

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by donksdoodles, Feb 20, 2011.

1. I have an observation lesson with year 7 on physical descriptions in Spanish. Has anyone tried using playdoh to get pupils describing / making monster faces? I've had this suggested to me but wonder how practical it would be?!
    One alternative would be to play Guess Who as a whole class (dividing the class into 2 groups and playing against one another). Any other suggestions that have worked well for you??

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

how about mini whiteboards instead of playdough? should be easier to organise and they'll like it just as much! I love guess who, you can make it cultural by swapping the faces for celebrities of your target country, giving them a number 1-30 and projecting them on the board, then pupils could again write all the numbers down on their miniwb and cross them off as they go along. Takes a lot less prep than the usual game.
    Another variation is to send a pupil out, choose a person, then make the pupil come back in and ask questions until they get it. Practises a different skill altogether (asking questions) and you could make it fun by giving the guesser a policeman's hat and making them pretend they're looking for a criminal.

3. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I like sticking pictures round the room (10 or so) and giving the pupils descriptions on a sheet. They then have to find the correct picture for each description.
    I usually add unknown vocab to the written descriptions - as an extension activity, pupils need to use the pictures to work out the meanings of the new words (you could underline them) once they've completed the match-up. This differentiates neatly too. E.g. "He's got a grey bushy moustache" - pupils may not know the word for 'bushy' but can work it out by looking at the picture of the grey moustache.
    Good luck!

4. There are loads of Guess Who sheets to download here (possibly not particularly useful for this lesson, but great to use anyway)
    http://www.hasbro.com/games/discover/guesswho/
    How about a memory game - write a description of a wanted person on a piece of paper (no picture) and stick a couple of copies of these on the back of chairs at the front of the room. Pupils work in small groups to try to draw the picture by coming up one at a time to read the descriptions and then returning to their groups to feed back as much information as they have understood. Give them a time limit (40 seconds - 1 minute) to try to pick out as much info. as they can - they're not allowed to shout the information out to their group whilst up at the front, or write anything down and if they wish to go back to their groups early they can, but they aren't allowed to return to the description. Everyone in the group has to come up and then at the end you could give them a 'bonus' go, where one member of the group can come up for the second time. You can include all the basic information + extra details (age / reward / distinguishing features etc.) which the more able will be able to try to work out (maybe with dictionaries ?) At the end reveal the picture or go through with the class and the group with the most correct details wins. They could then use this as a model for their own wanted posters. Not as messy as play doh, but works well !

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

there's also a guess who board (names in French though) on resources

6. Thank you, thank you, thank you Tulip! That's just become one of my favourite sites!