1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phrases that I would like banned, please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Are we talking about senior management?

2. 'End of play' as in 'Do you think you can get it done by end of play today?' I always want to ask why it is that they consider it to be 'play'. To me, it's work.
    'My bad', as in 'Oh, it was me who threw all your resources in the bin, I thought it was rubbish. My bad'. Grammatical nonsense!

3. Yer Mam used to be an abbreviation for "Shagged yer Mam" but recently it's become the response to "You're gay!" "Yer Mam's gay!" "You missed the penalty!" "Yer Mam missed the penalty!"

4. missed the penalty?

5. yous
    Why??

6. Any criticism will do, bobvincent.
    Agree that "my bad" deserves a punch every time.

7. I was going to post 'my bad'. What the heck does it mean anyhow and where did it come from? Another phrase that makes me want to slap someone is 'Enjoy' said by any half ***** waitress.

8. "sweet" and "mint" when you approve of something.

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Anything that misuses "literally". I literally burst into flames when I hear these.

10. 'Its all good'
    'Whatever floats your boat'
    'I was thinking.....' - DON'T because your thinking lands me with more work!
    'Action plan' - is this not the same as a plan???!!
    'Budget' - just tell me there is no money!
    'We all know that ......' - no we don't all know or agree with you so don't assume!
    'Summer Fair' - why should I give up my Saturday planning sessions to spend more time at school???
    'It's school policy' - yeah, only when it suits you though!
    'Window shopping' - if I can't buy something why bother going??!
    'Guys' - aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!! now this one I really hate!!!!

11. absolutely

12. I am finding it difficult to agree with you
    dress code
    last orders at the bar please - think I hate this one the most!!![​IMG]

13. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if it's already been said but...
    "I need you to..."
    a) bog off asking me to do more than I already do
    b) you don't NEED me to do anything. You might want or like me to but that's your lookout.

14. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

On the X Factor etc... "you nailed it!" aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggghh!

15. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

going forward-completely redundant, as many of these phrases are. However I have been known to use one or two mentioned on this thread [​IMG]

16. Meh - I have no idea what this means but I think it is meant to indicate ennui[​IMG]
    Nom nom - enough to put me off <u>my</u> food[​IMG]

17. Buffy the vampire slayer - never heard it before then

My hates:

very unique - no it is or it isn't, it can't be very
    Myself - when used by people who think it's a posh form of 'me'
    You just have to think.................. no I don't have to think the same as you, I have a different opinion

18. Exactly what I was going to say doglover! Especially the 'no offence, but...' and then they go on to be very offensive!

Also: anything that includes the phrase 'holistic' or 'taking ownership of'

19. Two choices...no no no no...you have ONE choice with two OPTIONS. A choice is "either ,or"

20. This is my pet hate at the moment. My headteacher always refers to himself as "myself": "Year 5 will be taught by myself next year..." at a recent parents' evening.
    Aaaaarrgggghhhhh. [​IMG]