1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phrases that I would like banned, please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I even prefer that to "And I was like [option to insert facial expression or physical gesture], and she was like, no, and I was like...."

2. "Unorganised."
    "We need to talk" not followed immediately by said talk. (Same for "I need to tell you something" or any variation of the phrase.)
    "Ditto" in response to any emotional declaration. (See the film "Ghost", or my ex.)
    "Are you okay?" said to anyone who is clearly not.

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

Oh, yes, I know *exactly* what that facial expression would look like, too.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Telling someone in a precarious position "Hold on!"
    "Would you like to [insert chore]?" - no, I would be willing to do so, but I wiould not LIKE to

5. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

"She made me do it.........."
    "It was an accident" How was that an accident?
    "It wasn't my fault..............."

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

'Calm down'
    'Ownership of learning'
    'Excuse I'

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Someone's mentioned 'passionate about' and I'd like to add passion to that. Andy Murray can't do an interview without overusing the word huge.
    I've always dislike 'thoroughly enjoyed' though I'm not sure why.
    Issues rather than problems when there are clearly problems
    around instead of about
    'was sat' instead of 'was sitting' when used by anyone south of Derby
    the list is endless

8. when people actually say 'LOL'

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I heard an American man in our local tesco ask an assistant
    "Do you have any, like, ice-cream?"

10. Love this thread - agree with everyone. If, however, I had written 'Am loving this thread' i would have ****** myself right off!

11. I dislike the management phrase 'drilling-down'. Yuck! I also refuse to call the 5 year olds that I teach stakeholders!

12. I just laughed out loud [​IMG]
    I was going to type lol and thought better of it! I was in primark in Romford (yes I know, not the wisest of things to do!) and I overheard two school girls talking. One of them said something that was presumably funny and her mate actually replied "l o l". I was dumbfounded.

13. I heard OMG from a young woman in Tesco's. This talking in initials is appalling

14. You are really making me laugh [​IMG]
    Love your correct usage of "myself" [​IMG]

15. It's not even like you save yourself some syllables in that instance haha [​IMG]

16. "Never mind" has always struck me as an odd phrase.

17. Listen to any football commentary- I'm watching england women playing France and heard "shoelace issue" and "back sticK"

18. Haven't read the thread but I hate "With respect, ..."

19. Can I get.... as in can I get a latte?

Good ....as in How are you? Good.

Quit.......as in Karate is well boring I'm gonna quit.

20. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I am soooo guilty of this... 'Am loving this thread' . It's just the way I type on screen and in texts. I am also guilty of not really seeing a problem with it but I suppose that's the whole point of the thread, I nearly lol'd but remembered someone objecting to that too! [​IMG]

What the hell is the blue sky reference all about? Never heard that one before!xx