1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Photographs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by compostela2004, Mar 2, 2016.

1. compostela2004

compostela2004 New commenter

Is there any reason why a school should ask for a 'full length photograph' in the application process? Seems a bit strange to me!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My guess?

They wish to see if you are (a) Caucasian and (b) not obese.

They may believe that their parents would not wish them to employ those who do not conform to these requirements. Not a school in Europe is my suspicion.

Other posters may have other explanations. ;)

Best wishes

3. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

I have to smile when people expect western standards when they are not in the West. Equality, fairness, employment rights, equal rights do not exist in some countries. Open your eyes to the reality of where you chose to live and work. I am not saying don't go, but do be realistic.

4. compostela2004

Redparrotfish - I am realistic but the school is in Austria!

hellothisismyusername likes this.
  5. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Oh boy you have a lot to learn about Australia.

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Possibly, but as the school is in Austria s/he might not need to.

7. marrsy_2000

marrsy_2000 New commenter

Maybe it's to see how you'd look in lederhosen?

8. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

Good thought. They'll want you to look right for Oktoberfest. lederhorsen-sexy-black-womens-oktoberfest-costume.jpg

9. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Do they have an Oktoberfest in Austria, and do Austrians wear lederhosen? Having said that is the request a deal breaker?

10. compostela2004

Yes they wear lederhosen in Austria and I am sure, like here in Spain, they celebrate Oktoberfest too. No it is not 'deal breaker' but just wondered why other schools require a passport type photo and this one a full length one!

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I find the whole idea of a photo a bit 'iffy'. Why should your appearance be a factor in deciding who they invite to interview? full length picture - even more strange. I would be tempted to put a picture of Brad Pitt or similar.

12. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

"Why should your appearance be a factor in deciding who they invite to interview?"

Ohhh Stopwatch you silly boy!!

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I realise that in reality it is, even though it shouldn't be you silly boy!! :)

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

In desperation I once appointed a teacher on basis of his CV and an 'interview' over a dodgy telephone link crackling across 3,000 miles of space. When he stepped off the plane I was immediately aware that he was camp as a row of bell tents (You don't pick that up in a photo, though the lederhosen might be a clue). He turned out to be a brilliant and charismatic teacher and theatre director. And, eventually, a caring and highly popular head of girls' boarding.