1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Photographs, thoughts please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by remyk69, Mar 14, 2012.

1. A friend writes local history books. His latest is a 'Then and Now' style with photographs of buildings and locations showing how they looked in Edwardian times and how they look now.

He wants to use a class photo of a local primary school, there are many of them around in postcard form and they show the way kids dressed back then. He wants to show a form group from 2012 from a local Primary. As a Secondary teacher, I think he is unlikely to get permission, which is a shame as the photo would be published in a high quality book.

When I take and use photos of kids at school, I make sure they are in a group and never publish names or ages with them, and yet, in the local paper, photos of individuals are often published and their name and age written in the description. His photo would be a group shot with a description on how their dress style has changed over the years.

Any thoughts from Primary staff, or, hopefully, a Headteacher?

Thank you in advance.

2. A friend writes local history books. His latest is a 'Then and Now' style with photographs of buildings and locations showing how they looked in Edwardian times and how they look now.

He wants to use a class photo of a local primary school, there are many of them around in postcard form and they show the way kids dressed back then. He wants to show a form group from 2012 from a local Primary. As a Secondary teacher, I think he is unlikely to get permission, which is a shame as the photo would be published in a high quality book.

When I take and use photos of kids at school, I make sure they are in a group and never publish names or ages with them, and yet, in the local paper, photos of individuals are often published and their name and age written in the description. His photo would be a group shot with a description on how their dress style has changed over the years.

Any thoughts from Primary staff, or, hopefully, a Headteacher?

Thank you in advance.

3. I would think his chances are good. Schools love links to their own history. The Head can always send out permission slips before allowing the children to take part in the photo. As long as your friend has some credentials to prove he is the author of similar books there shouldn't be a problem.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

We have a blanket permission form as children start school that says whether or not their photos can be used for press, etc. so if he came to us we could easily organise it with perhaps one or two individuals removed.