1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

photographs as evidence

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by louisejemima, May 9, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm a teaching assistant at an infant school working with year 2 children.
    I've just read a thread which comments on the use of photographs as evidence for non-written activities in class and wondered what the consensus was around this matter. I currently spend quite a lot of time (much unpaid) taking, uploading, printing, photocopying, cutting, sticking and adding captions to photos taken at school.We were asked by our head to take more photos and Ican see that they are beneficial to the children, their parent's and to show some of the things we do in class and around school which cannot be recorded but if they are not seen as valuable evidence by teaching staff or Ofsted then I'm not sure I should spend so much time on them as I have to prioritise my workload.
    What do others think?

2. Hello,
    I'm a teaching assistant at an infant school working with year 2 children.
    I've just read a thread which comments on the use of photographs as evidence for non-written activities in class and wondered what the consensus was around this matter. I currently spend quite a lot of time (much unpaid) taking, uploading, printing, photocopying, cutting, sticking and adding captions to photos taken at school.We were asked by our head to take more photos and Ican see that they are beneficial to the children, their parent's and to show some of the things we do in class and around school which cannot be recorded but if they are not seen as valuable evidence by teaching staff or Ofsted then I'm not sure I should spend so much time on them as I have to prioritise my workload.
    What do others think?

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

I work in a special school where photo's are used in the way you describe. OFSTED barely have time to look at them BUT who cares what OFSTED think? That's not why we run our school.
    Our children and our parents love them and they are clearly of value and that's what matters

4. Hi,
    from a teachers perspective I find photos just as valuable evidence as a written piece of work. For example in numeracy I often find children understand a concept but find it difficult to write it down which can look on paper as if they can't do something. Being able to do something practically those children who do find it difficult have the opportunity to show they understand and by taking photos it takes the added pressure off the child to have to write everything down afterwards. It also give me the evidence( maybe 3 photos) I need to prove that they can do it, and then I can plan how to break that barrier down and show children how to relate the practical to a written task which maybe exactly the same but written. This job should be split between yourself and the class teacher so you are not having to spend unpaid hours sticking in photos, I split with mine and any she does not have time to do I finish or if she has a more important task I will take on sole responsibility which we find managable, it should never be left just to you to do.

5. thanks for your replies, I'm glad to hear that others find photos valuable and I'm not wasting time, I think I just need to manage my time a bit better!