1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Photo required for Qatar teaching jobs?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zemandjames, Mar 10, 2018.

1. zemandjames

zemandjames New commenter

I’m genuinely curious as to why schools are asking for candidates’ photos as it’s something not happening in the “West”?

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Obviously want to check that you don't look like a psycho killer. It is very common place now. I think it is a good idea. Makes the application more personal.

3. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Really? Which “psycho killers” actually look psycho? It’s been discounted in the West for a good reason.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

They don't want non-white teachers applying for jobs at an "English" school.

No, dash201, I do not think that it makes the application more personal.

5. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

That’s what I thought! Hence as a black British native English speaker I have no chance in hell? We’re looking to move with my spouse’s job and I certainly don’t want to sit at home and do nothing. Hmmm this is depressing. Also makes me fear for my kids’ wellbeing at the schools? Schools that don’t value me as a black teacher certainly won’t value my mixed kids. We will be looking at the ‘top’ English schools. Are they the same? Is the American one the same?

6. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Not that I’m surprised or shocked. I knew as much but still surprised it’s so blatant in the top schools? How is their accreditation not being affected? The schools in SE Asia I know are similar but not as blatant and they would take on any colour teachers for supply as long as your kids were students there. At the minimum that’s what I need. If I can’t even teach supply at my kids’ school then that may be a deal breaker for an otherwise very lucrative posting for us. So all honest comments appreciated. I’m no spring chicken and mature and travelled enough to know the stark realities of racism but I cope as long as I know what I’m getting myself and kids into.

7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Don't forget there are two good American schools in Qatar.

8. zdaea

zdaea New commenter

It's actually most of the 'Top' English schools that are guilty of not wanting to employ non white as native English speakers. It's wrong we all know this but some parents/schools just don't want us non-white people ruining the school look. It's like we are not capable of teaching if our skin isn't white. Oh, to top it all off just add a hijab on too and then you are really doomed! But there are some schools out there that will consider a born and bred, non white western teacher but the struggle is real. Just keep trying.

9. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Ok noted. In my readings so far only one stood out. How are their hiring practices? I would want to stay at my kids’ school simply for logistical reasons and mean to keep them in that system but I do like IB and wouldn’t be averse to switching them if they’re more diverse...

10. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

That sucks. Well let’s see what even happens with my husband’s offer. That would be a condition of our move ... me getting a supply job. I prefer supply as long as the rates are good then I’m not dealing with parents in that environment. My last SEAsian top British school, a fantastic male black teacher got harassed by parents and no school support...to the point of being ill and quitting.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Breathe. Apply.
    There are a decent number of teachers of color in Qatar. And international schools in other countries too.
    Some are racist, but many schools are not. Apply and see what happens.
    Be aware that you will probably encounter racism from some families. Establish yourself well early on and this factor reduces. Your school should be prepared to support you. Feel free to ask in the second interview about racism in the country and how the school supports teachers of color.

dumbbells66 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  12. UKMomof3

UKMomof3 New commenter

Oh I didn’t stop breathing trust me. I would say most are. Yes I encounter it here in the UK from parents so I’m always prepared for that. Thanks for the tip I’ll definitely ask specifically how they deal with racism towards students and teachers.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I'm sorry, UKMomof3. I certainly saw some very blatant and ugly racism during our five years in Qatar. Yes, there is some in China, but coloured friends say that often it is more curiosity than discrimination.