1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Photo Puzzles for Teachers of Spanish

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Jeremyinspain, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm Jeremy Dean and I live in Spain, teaching Spanish children in an English 'immersion' school.
    Photography is one of my hobbies so I've started a new resource on my blog for teachers of Spanish, called 'Photo Puzzles'. Every week I'll post a photo of a sign, poster or advert for your students to translate/work out. I'll try to choose interesting topics that will engage your students and maybe lead to a bit of discussion, insight or controversy.
    Please drop me a comment or e-mail if you find the resource useful.
    http://zenkyumaestro.blogspot.com.es/p/puzzles-for-teachers-well-for-your.html

2. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

Love it! Great intercultural resource. Looking forward to seeing more. Shall also tell the Twitterati about it.

3. Jeremyinspain

Thanks for that. I'd be interested to know what 'level' you think it's pitched at. I teach primary children, but my own Spanish is probably somewhere between GCSE and A level. I'm guessing that something that makes me think and ponder will work for students who are working at these levels. What do you think?

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Love it!
    This would make a great starter activity for KS3/4 pupils, keeping them busy individually or in groups whilst waiting for everyone to arrive , register to be taken etc.

5. Jeremyinspain

Thanks, jubilee. I've now managed to upload it as a TES resource, titled, 'Spanish Photo Puzzles'. Glad it's proving popular. Photography is a hobby of mine so it's fun as I'm out and about to spot interesting things and snap them. (And then spend hours pouring over my dictionaries to make sure I've understood them.)

6. Geekie

Wow that second one is fantastic! I can't see anything wrong with the translation having looked through is quickly :eek:) It's good for us and good practice for you too!

7. Jeremyinspain

It was such a surprise to see it, and so nice. People who weren't 'together', but had stopped, were talking about it. Everyone seemed to like it, it was so big, and bright and... I don't know, sort of like walking into some strange fairy-tale land. Well woth hunting out if you're ever in Madrid. I've no idea how long it's going to be there. The materials won't degrade in a hurry, so maybe it's up for a while.
    Thanks for your support with this.

8. Geekie

I have tweeted the link to the #MFLTwitterati so hopefully you will get some more hits.

Haven't been to Madrid for ages - making me yearn for Spain again!

9. Jeremyinspain

Thanks again.
    Madrid is in fine form, I'll be blogging a few posts from our long weekend there over the next couple of weeks. I was especially surprised to be able to get up the tower of the Palacio de Cibeles (Post Office) building for fine views over Plaza de Cibeles and up Gran Via. Great city.

10. I love this. I'm not teaching any Spanish at the moment, sadly, but I absolutely love the idea. Thanks for sharing - it would definitely make a great starter, and I'm already wondering if using google images to perhaps find something similar for German/French, which I am teaching, would work...

11. Jeremyinspain

The third Spanish Photo-Puzzle for Teachers is now live.
    It's called 'Food, Glorious Food', but don't expect a list of groceries.
    This has a bit more bite...

12. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

That last one is really moving, Jeremy, especially after watching Children in Need last night. They're such close neighbours and anyone teaching Spanish has probably lived there so will be deeply affected by what's happening to them. I'll definitely be showing this to my classes, as it's not only a puzzle but something that will make them more aware of life in another country and of global economic issues. Thank you for posting these photos and the fascinating details with them, and keep them coming. I love the feeling of an instant contact with Spain too, as I lived in Barcelona and still miss it.
    Can I put your page on Facebook? A recent poster was suggesting that UK supermarkets do something similar with loyalty points.

13. Jeremyinspain

Thanks so much for this. I've been quite amazed, humbled and pleased at the response that I've had to this from teachers. Already, after only three weeks, I can see the use of it being much wider than I'd originally considered (which was as a simple 'language' resource). I now feel it could help to really engage students with Spain and the Spanish as real people. I hope my 'link' back to the UK, as an English teacher myself, experiencing Spanish life from 'our' perspective, might make it all a bit more real.
    The 'Operation Kilo' experience last weeked hit me deeply. A lot of the parents in my school are suffering the effects of the 'crisis'. Some are losing jobs, working shorter hours or even being paid less for the same hours (especially in health care). I know a nurse in this situation. I even know a father who is working in Panama as he can't find work in Spain. His wife and son (in my class a few years ago) remain in Spain. Very hard.The volunteer I spoke to ('Maria', not her real name) is a parent of a child in our secondary dept.
    And yes, i'd be delighted for you to put it on Facebook. I'm on there myself, Jeremy Jose Dean, but am only just getting to know facebook, I've spent more time blogging. Feel free to drop by, but it's more of a 'day-to-day' view from me there, the blog is a more 'considered' view of Spain, although it also often has a lighthearted feel.
    Thanks again for you comments. And keep up the good work. Teaching... The best job in the world. No question.
    JJD

14. Jeremyinspain

A slightly 'lighter' puzzle this week, I hope it makes your students smile.
    But a serious thought at the end as well, to stoke the fires of debate for you, perhaps?
    JJD

15. Jeremyinspain

The fifth 'puzzle' is up and running, with a 'health' theme.
    Let me know how it goes down.
    JJD

16. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Will do this one tomorrow with my Yr 10, but wanted to say that my Yr 7 class absolutely loved the lizard and the dog walking one today. They were all transfixed for a good ten mins, and there are several statemented children in there. The more able worked out the question about the animal too. Thanks again for taking the time to put up such a great resource.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Fantastic resource! I look forward to checking this thread every week.

18. Jeremyinspain

Thanks again, I'm having great fun.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

20. Jeremyinspain

It's up there. I did have a few teething problems in the first couple of days but it's a fully fledged TES resource now.
    Thanks for the heads up ref the comp, I'll give it a look. Will have the next resource up tomorrow, and it's a little bit different...