1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Photo printing

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by V&T, Jan 14, 2011.

1. V&T

V&T

Does anybody use online printing companies to print out photographs for profiles? I am trying to find a more cost effective way of printing pictures and would be like to know if anyone can recommend a website/company.[​IMG]

2. V&T

V&T

* would like to know...it's Friday...[​IMG]

3. I just print them put using the school printer, as do other FS teachers. Ours aren't expected to be good quality. I know tesco is about the cheapest I have used for my own photos though.
    We are actually thinking about creating a photo file per child on the computer next year, will save on printing and time. I'm not sure it says anywhere that photo evidence has to be printed so I am only too happy to trial virtual files - seeing as our profile is all electronic now!

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Photo evidence.

It is lovely for parents but they all take photos anyway. Am I traumatised by not having photos of my time in reception 52 years ago? No. Photos would have been a nice memento but should school budgets fund nice mementos?
    I wonder how much my school spends on small, badly printed pictures in a year.

5. I started using digi print years ago as they were very cheap and have used them ever since. No idea how they compare now as never saw the need to compare prices again (silly really). That is all personal use though and never properly print photos for school unless I frame a pic for the children at the end of the year.
    I print a handful of pictures for a class photo album on the school printer and have done this year as kitkat has suggested and keep a virtual file for eahc child. It works really really well - just make sure you have the right date set on your camera!!!

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I've downloaded Picasa onto my work laptop. It's good for basic editing plus it has face recognition, so you can label the children in the pictures and then sort by name.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Don't print them, keeep them on the school server.

8. We print the photos off on school printer - not the best quality but recognisable. The children love looking at the photos in their orange book - encouraging them to talk about their photos - we usually write down next to the photo what they have said. They usually have an interesting insight in the photos! Good for observations and evidence too!

9. We e-mail ours to parents; they then decide if they want to print them off to put in their learning journey.
    We have done this for several years now and works well.

10. Taking all these photos, uploading them, (printing them, sticking them into books, annoting them, etc.) must take a great deal of time.
    What do these photographs tell you?
    How do they help you to teach these children better?
    Why do you take photographs?

11. If you print 200+ photographs at Boots it costs 5p per photograph, I do this 3 or 4 times a year (because it works out cheaper...) so for 30 childeren spending say £36 per YEAR this would work out at £1.20 per child - absolutely not much really.
    The photographs I take are used not only to 'inform' profiles, but to show the children, the parents, and all supports the 'what did you do today?' especially when annotated to explain the learning opportunties in their play.
    I would be really sad to have to stop using photographs - I rarely take 'posed' photographs of lovely smiling children - that's the parents job....
    My short answer is - the more you print the cheaper it is....
    x x x x