1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phoning parents to enquire about parents evening attendance

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FollyFairy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Do the parents know that there is a parents evening? Have they received a letter with/without reply slip? I certainly would not phone parents to ask them if they were attending, but it is common practice to phone the parents who did not attend to give them the feedback on their son/daughter you have would have given them had they attended.

2. It is an admin task however if you work in an academy they make you do this. I used to get my TA to do it for me and fill in my sheet where I had blanks from no slips returned. I was too busy. That was an academy. In my current school we are not asked to this and I would refuse if I was.

3. It is necessary to phone as children may not have taken home the letter. The phoning needn't be done by a teacher though.

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Politely decline to do it. If they say you have to then go to the union rep. You do not have to do this job; it's not a job for a teacher.

5. My school uses email.
    Such a better way of doing things, all of the parents know that communication is through this meduim and it goes the other way as well, if parents want to contact me they do it via email

6. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

In one school I worked the HOYs and later an admin person to them carried out this task.