1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phoning parents/children at home

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by zachjoe1, Mar 31, 2020.

1. steph_m_m

steph_m_m New commenter

I only have this quote from a letter from the local education authority. I can’t find anything from central government or anything that says the contact must be one-one.

2. steph_m_m

steph_m_m New commenter

3. steph_m_m

steph_m_m New commenter

One can request clarification over Data Protection and Cost of Calls. If my phone bill lists 30 pupils’ phone numbers, is that okay? If I am hard up, single income, large mortgage, own kids etc. can I afford to sub the welfare system with these calls?

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  4. steph_m_m

steph_m_m New commenter

Those numbers will still appear on your bill.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

For those using a personal phone, if your school is using a Cisco phone system, you may be able to use Jabber which is an app that will direct your call through the school system so it looks as though. The caller will see the school number come up, if you are connected to your WiFi it will cost nothing, and eliminates the phone numbers on the bill issue.

6. johnathanx

johnathanx New commenter

I don't think so.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Apparently the DfE have sent further guidance on this but it still only talks about vulnerable children, not all children

upload_2020-4-24_18-20-11.png

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have had to complete a risk assessment for all children classed as vulnerable, or near vulnerable who are not in regular attendance in school. This includes children on Child Protection or Child in Need, children holding EHCPs, children on TACs and those at risk of falling into one of these categories. It assesses the possible level of risk of the pupil being at home, any mitigating factors I’m aware of and and support currently in place. From this I have to determine how often contact has to be made, daily, three times a week or once a week. The risk assessment then has to be updated every two weeks and I contact families as necessary. Every other child has ad hoc contact by class teachers and parents have the ability to contact either teachers or myself if they need advice/ support. I am however the only member of staff who phones, all other contact is via Class dojo. Teachers are NOT expected to have phone contact. I am currently using my home phone as I’m self isolating, but can claim back my costs. I also have access to phone numbers via our admin system so no additional data protection issues there,

9. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I'd tell you a true story about what has happened to me recently on this topic, but it would identify me to my colleagues, and anyway, none of you would believe me even if I told you straight and showed you the evidence (which I am keeping on a separate hard drive just in case they deny it later on).

Suffice it to say, it's "Heads, they win; tails, I lose" every single time.,, :(

10. Tess9876

Tess9876 New commenter

You actually presume that a school "obviously" knows *every single' vulnerable child it has? Astounding.
    Those who are not yet known and are too scared to come forward, will be - and are - thrown under the bus with teachers having attitudes like yours! Of course every single child needs to be phoned, because it is *not* obvious who is vulnerable ***! If it were obvious police wouldn't have to place so many children in emergency care due to domestic violence, because all those children would have "obviously" been known or helped bychildren's services before.

Your optimism/nativitey is unbelievable. Only to prevent lazy questions like yours, madatory reporting and stepping up of schools keeping in contact with children should be a legal requirement posthaste.

11. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I am well into a second round of calls to my tutor group. The school have only provided tutors the phone number of one parent and I am finding a lot now back at work.That of course means no chance of talking to the student who is at home. In some cases the parents sound pretty irritated that I am bothering them. I understand SLT are making home visits to a few where calls and emails have produced no response.

12. kegz

kegz New commenter

Ouch! Very scathing. As a parent, I am glad that I have not had endless phone calls from school. Supervising homeschooling while working full time was stressful enough without being hounded by school as well. I would have found it very unreasonable if I had been asked to phone everyone I taught each week.