1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phoning in sick......

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ff392, Nov 7, 2010.

1. How many of you are ill but still go to work?
    I ask as I have an horrendous cough - and have had it all week. I went to the dr who said it's a virus and it will go but I am worn out with the coughing !
    School know I am not well as they have seen me all week struggling but now my family are saying I should have a few days off........................... but feel guilty ??
    Advice needed......

2. You are sick and I would call or leave a message with someone first thing. Don't feel guilty... we all get sick sometime! Get better soon :)

3. I don't go to work when I am ill. There is no point as I am no use to anybody. I also wouldn't want to make myself worse

4. As guilty as you may feel....please do NOT go in to work. Not only does you being ill limit your abilities, the children's learning, and make you worse but there is a high probability that you will pass it on- not just to the children but to your co-workers.
    Stay at home and get better then go back to work on top form

hope you feel better soon

5. As guilty as you may feel....please do NOT go in to work. Not only does you being ill limit your abilities, the children's learning, and make you worse but there is a high probability that you will pass it on- not just to the children but to your co-workers.
    Stay at home and get better then go back to work on top form

hope you feel better soon

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Phone in sick.
    As a HT I am able to stay in my office (provided it is one of my non-teaching days) and cough, splutter dribble and drool over copies of the development plan, finance reports or SEF in private without any serious consequences to anyone else and still do my normal job.
    However, I would strongly advise any teacher to attempt to do their normal job while ill.
    Stay home and, if you feel guilty, catch up on some marking, planning, etc.

7. Oh wise one, I think you missed out a word!

8. Know I need to stay at home - only wish I had bought all the books home to mark!

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Stone me! So I did. Very sorry.
    However, I would strongly advise any teacher to NOT attempt to do their normal job while ill.
    That's better!

10. I have had a col/flu thing all week. Have dragged myself into work every day. So far I have spent the entire weekend in bed (missing bonfire night which i love) and to top things off a few of my children were complaining of similar symptoms on friday.

I feel awful and horrendously guilty too.

11. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

You've struggled through last week and since you've still got it I think your body I'd trying to tell you something! Have tomorrow off and then judge how you feel. Take things a day at a time

12. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

I would decide now to have the day off as then you can properly relax and have a good nights sleep. If you do do this then from the point of view of your HT (and a supply teacher ;)) let school know tonight so that cover can be arranged and some relieved supply teacher might get a call tonight rather than first thing tomorrow.

Seriously though, sounds like you need a rest. Hope you feel better soon x

13. I felt flaming awful last week and dragged myself in, I so wish I hadn't, it totally drained me, to the point that I was in tears by time the evening came, I then spent most of the weekend in bed, feeling even worse.
    If I had phoned in sick in the first place, I'm sure I would have totally recovered by now.
    We live and learn..
    Hope you feel better soon x

14. As a HT, I would rather a member of staff took 1 day off to get over an illness, than struggle in (infect other staff and children), for several days, then be off for several days more.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Only you know how ill you are, so only you can decide if you are fit to work.
    We have people with apparently 'dreadful colds, might have been flu' who have 2 days off and no symptoms before or after. And we also have people who come in despite having a cold/cough. And we have those who come in and are sent home as they are patently too unwell to work.
    You decide if you can work or not and if your presence is really needed.

16. Have told school that I wont be in for 2 days to give me chance to rest but have had cough for 2 weeks so not overly convinced 2 days will make much difference !

17. If you're ill, stay at home.
    If you've got a "bit of a throat" then don't try and self-justify - go in.

18. I hate taking time off, its the trying to sort out worksheets etc for the supply to use and then finding that they didnt do what I planned anyway, doesnt help that I live 30 miles from school...
    Consequence of that is that I often go in when ill just because it is easier...
    Hope you feel better soon!

19. As a former supply teacher... the children will not suffer by not doing the 'sheet' you prepared for them. They will probably learn far more doing the lesson the supply chooses to do him/herself, even if it is not on the lines of the main plans. Don't drag yourself in, spreading your germs, worrying about that! No-one is indispensable.

20. A 'bit of a throat' still needs to repair - it can't do that at school! And it can often turn into a nasty 'bit of a throat'!