1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phoning abroad

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I have been looking up online how to get cheap rates to Australia as family don't have internet connection where they are so skyping not possible.
    Anyone use any of the companies available for cheap calls from landlines (and mobiles) without having to unregister mobiles and use a card
    I'm trying firstnumber. I'm just wondering what the catch is ? 1p per minute sounds too good to be true!

2. I have been looking up online how to get cheap rates to Australia as family don't have internet connection where they are so skyping not possible.
    Anyone use any of the companies available for cheap calls from landlines (and mobiles) without having to unregister mobiles and use a card
    I'm trying firstnumber. I'm just wondering what the catch is ? 1p per minute sounds too good to be true!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've used Dialacode for phoning Jordan, Palestine and South Africa and it is true, they charge as low as 5p minute for SA, you need to use an Orange, £ or T-mobile to use it, and it is only for mobiles. but calls to landlines are cheaper than calls to mobiles.

http://www.dialacode.com/

4. thanks for replying so quickly !

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just checked the prices on justcall and whilst you can use it from a landline, calling from a mobile is about 2-3p a minute more than dialacode.

7. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

8. After accidentally phoning my son in OZ for 2 and a half hours the other week(I know, I don't know how it happened either!) I can tell you that if you have a vodaphone sim you can call anywhere in the world for free- it just comes off your minutes. (You can probbly imagine how relieved i was to find this out!!)

9. If you've got Skype you can use it to call their landline in Oz. I do that to call my Dad over there when he doesn't have the computer on. I have a package though which allows me to call any landlines for free in Oz - so check that out too, but you can just top up your credits and I think it is cheapest around.

10. With VAT it is 2.2 cents a minute so not as cheap as I thought ... but as I said I pay a monthly subscription and I can call any landline in Oz for as long as I like for free... so come Christmas I call everyone on their landlines for a better quality call...

An unlimited subscription is £4 a month but you can buy smaller times like an hour for 69p a month...

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We usually buy a card to use to call Pakistan, but I think we have pretty cheap international calls built in to our home phone package from Virgin cable