1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taji, Nov 2, 2011.

1. A colleague was telling a parent today that 'ck' doesn't make the same sound as 'c' or 'k' and that the children should be able to tell the difference. I've always told the children that the /k/ sound in in all three is exactly the same. Who is correct?

2. You are correct.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

OMG - was that a teacher? How can they possibly think that? I heard a volunteer the other day talking as though there was a difference in the sounds made by ir, er, ur, etc. Where do people get these ideas from I wonder?

4. U are right and your colleague is completely wrong.
    We use ck after short vowels (back, stick, neck)
    and k after long ones (bake, seek, speak)
    but c, k, ck, (and sometimes ch, que - character, mosque) are all just different ways of spelling the /k/ sound.
    Your colleague should visit my blog http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com

5. Well, there sometimes is, iron, errand, urgent.

6. There are always exceptions, but I suspect that mystery10 was referring to examples such as 'first', 'burn' and 'term' [​IMG]

7. Except when it is a soft 'c' (ceiling) or a silent k (knot).

8. I expect she was, but it is as well to be on your guard when discussing English spelling.

9. Especially with masha around....[​IMG]

10. Hi Mashabell,
    I really like your blog. I'm thinking of using it with my adult ed class - I've told them I'm going to start spelling tests!
    Thanks! [​IMG]

11. Thank u Padawan. Many teachers have told me via my website that they find my blogs useful, but more for teaching rather than testing spelling.
    Spelling tests tend to be rewarding for naturally good spellers (ones with good visual memories) but depressing for most others.
    The A-Z listing on my blog shows which common words disobey the main spelling patterns. Many adults start to feel less depressed about their poor spelling when they see how unpredictable English spelling often is.
    The lists also show them what they need to learn - in small batches of words they are likely to use.