1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by eddiecarron, Sep 3, 2011.

1. I conducted a KS2 pilot English research programme over the 2010/11 academic year involving about 200 Y6 children. A specific feature of the strategy used in the project was (1.) the complete absence of any phonics content and (2.) no teaching to the test. In spite of this unfashionable ommission, every child for whom a Level 3 had been predicted achieved Level 4. Westfield CP Shool in Wombourne, Staffs predicted that nine of the pupils would achieve Level 3 and they all achieved Level 4. They have now adopted the strategy throughout the school, beginning with Y3 children. I anticipate that they will now routinely achieve a 100% pass rate and that the proportion of Level 5 will increase year on year.

2. I conducted a KS2 pilot English research programme over the 2010/11 academic year involving about 200 Y6 children. A specific feature of the strategy used in the project was (1.) the complete absence of any phonics content and (2.) no teaching to the test. In spite of this unfashionable ommission, every child for whom a Level 3 had been predicted achieved Level 4. Westfield CP Shool in Wombourne, Staffs predicted that nine of the pupils would achieve Level 3 and they all achieved Level 4. They have now adopted the strategy throughout the school, beginning with Y3 children. I anticipate that they will now routinely achieve a 100% pass rate and that the proportion of Level 5 will increase year on year.

3. Sounds like the Welsh curriculum then

4. I'm not familair with the Welsh curriculum but if they're challenging the idea that the way to restore reading deficits is to carry on with phonics which have already failed to secure reading fluency, then they certainly have my support. I take the view that while the ability to assimilate concepts is constrained by IQ, the ability to acquire skills is not. This means that virtually all children can acquire good literacy skills (or any other skills) providing they are taught appropriately.