1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by skills324, Apr 15, 2011.

1. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Anyone know any websites for theory information on phonics.
    I'm doing a session on it for some trainee teachers soon and could do with a starting point.

Thanks in advance

2. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Anyone know any websites for theory information on phonics.
    I'm doing a session on it for some trainee teachers soon and could do with a starting point.

Thanks in advance

3. gcf

gcf

Start with www.dyslexics.org.uk and if you can get hold of a copy of Diane McGuinness superb book WHY CHILDREN CAN'T READ do read it.Elizabeth Nonweiler - TeachtoRead - has very effective, succinct slides - if no-one gives the links to these then I'll post them when I dig them up.
    Do a search on here for synthetic phonics, too. And have a look at the home page of Reading Reform Foundation.
    Good luck.

4. skills324

skills324 New commenter

Thanks for the info.
    If anyone else has any starting points for me, I would be very grateful

5. There's a lot of free information, free alphabetic code charts and video clips to be found via www.phonicsinternational.com .

I continue to keep promoting the helpfulness of alphabetic code charts as main visual aids including for training student teachers. Sadly, some people see this as product promotion which is not my intent.

6. Just to say thanks for recommending the 'Why children can't read' book - managed to get a second hand copy and it has filled so many gaps in my understanding. Thank you :)

7. This is a very readable book too:

'Early Reading Instruction: What science really tells us about how to teach reading'
    by Diane McGuinness.

I also like her 'Growing a Reader from Birth'.

8. Thank you :)