1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

phonics

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mags2612, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I have some Doubling Rules Posters that I could email to you as well word cards & some sheets on the words & sentences I use. I have sheets about counting syllables, syllable division & open/closed syllables.
    I know you don't want to make a lot of resources but I have some card games that just require printing onto white card & cutting up into individual cards - I have Word cards for the doubling rules, Game of Counting Syllables [ pictures] & a Game of Open/Closed Syllables. These could be made larger to show a whole class & perhaps having teams to play the games. The cards for counting syllables could be used with a board game where children move the number of syllables in a word.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

2. Concentrate more on just teaching English and less on phonics and spelling?
    U can choose to make a big deal of consonant doubling, but the majority of the most used English verbs have irregular past tenses (e.g. be - was, have been; have ...).
    (I can paste in the whole list of them.)
    English consonant doubling is a mess anyway, as u can see
    at www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk