1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, Aug 16, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hello,

Can I ask if anyone can point me to a website or perhaps can you let me know, which order you will go in for phonics this year?

I know I'll be starting to review all the sounds from reception, but once I get to air and are, I'm a bit muddled.

I also know that everyone uses different schemes, therefore different orders. But just wondered if there was a simpler or different way to how I'm doing it now.

Many thanks!

2. EBF

EBF New commenter

Hello,
    My school doesn't have a scheme which meant I was a bit like you. I however stumbled across PhonicsPlay - they have planning for each phase, interactive activities and other helpful resources. I assess in the first week - and make sure that the kids are where they were said to be and then start of with Phase 4 on the Phonics Play Scheme then just follow that throughout the year moving onto Phase 5 with children who need interventions being doing that with my TA.

I have Read Write Inc. cards that I use alongside the PhonicsPlay scheme. I use these when introducing new sounds and alternatives. These cards have the graphemes on and pictures on with a sentence for each grapheme so for 'oo' they have 'poo at the zoo' for 'oo' it is 'look at a book' so they learn the new phoneme as per the PhonicsPlay scheme but they have a picture too and a sentence to help them 1) differentiate the alternatives and 2) recognise the sound in a word. I found they quite like having the picture, you can play a game where you try to trick them which mine really enjoy playing.

Hope this helps.

EBC likes this.
  3. EBC

EBC New commenter

Oh brilliant. I'll look at it tonight. Thank you!

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

5. EBC

EBC New commenter

Thanks.

6. alyoh

alyoh New commenter

Hi Over_the_hill - have you / can you recommend any training to support staff for Letters and Sounds?
    T I A!