1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics - Y2 children who are exceeding Phase 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I just wondered what you do in this situation. I have a group of about 6 children who really don't need the phonics teaching anymore - neither to read nor to spell. They infact don't even use phonic knowledge to decode - they just know them. They make very accurate attempts at rare/uncommon words and as soon as I teach them the correct spelling they remember it.
    I cant help but think it would be a waste of time for them to sit through phonics teaching every day, and wondered if anyone else was in this situation. What with there being such a huge emphasis on phonics teaching currently I don't know if taking them away from phonics teaching completely would be frowned upon?
    Also, do others find themselves going over and over the same phonemes? I seem to go through Phase 5 for my LA/MA children then get to the end of the term and feel that they would benefit from more practice so we go through them all again. I do the same with my HA and the Phase 6 stuff. It looks lazy on my planning as I basically repeat the same format as the previous term but I really do feel that going over it again for further practice and consolidation is importance instead of whizzing them onto the next phase when they are not yet consistently applying LVP's.
    Just any advice on what others do would be useful :)

2. I just wondered what you do in this situation. I have a group of about 6 children who really don't need the phonics teaching anymore - neither to read nor to spell. They infact don't even use phonic knowledge to decode - they just know them. They make very accurate attempts at rare/uncommon words and as soon as I teach them the correct spelling they remember it.
    I cant help but think it would be a waste of time for them to sit through phonics teaching every day, and wondered if anyone else was in this situation. What with there being such a huge emphasis on phonics teaching currently I don't know if taking them away from phonics teaching completely would be frowned upon?
    Also, do others find themselves going over and over the same phonemes? I seem to go through Phase 5 for my LA/MA children then get to the end of the term and feel that they would benefit from more practice so we go through them all again. I do the same with my HA and the Phase 6 stuff. It looks lazy on my planning as I basically repeat the same format as the previous term but I really do feel that going over it again for further practice and consolidation is importance instead of whizzing them onto the next phase when they are not yet consistently applying LVP's.
    Just any advice on what others do would be useful :)

3. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Look up the Support for Spelling document - it covers Phase 6 and then continues from there. My HA year 2s have done the year 2 section of it and have started looking at the year 3 parts. It covers spelling patterns and my group do it with a TA while the rest of the class have their daily phonics.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We aim for support for spelling Y3 term 1 in term 2 of Y2.

5. Thanks, I will do just that!