1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics- which phase to start on on, halfway through kinder/reception?

Discussion in 'English' started by catdog74, Jul 3, 2020.

1. catdog74

catdog74 New commenter

Hi, I am a Kindergarten ( on reception/foundation? teacher from Australia. I am starting the UK Letters and sounds program, for a more intensive phonics approach, however it is already halfway through our school year. I have already taught the letter/sounds via the Jolly Phonics program. My question is, do I begin at the start of Phase 2 or towards the end of phase 2? We have not used such a structured, intensive approach before and my gut feeling is start right at the start of the program. Thoughts?

2. nicebutdim23

nicebutdim23 New commenter

It depends where your children are at really. If the have solid knowledge of the beginning part then ok but if not you might need to just start from the beginning

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What about Letters And Sounds makes you feel it is an intensive, structured program? I've never thought of it as anything more than a collection of ideas of how to teach phonics - similar to Jolly Phonics (which you say you have already used).

If your children already know the initial 44 phonemes/graphemes taught in Jolly Phonics, what would the point be in teaching them again?