1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Test

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s7ace, Mar 17, 2012.

1. How are teachers preparing for the Phonics screening test in June? Interested for my research Thanks

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'm teaching phonics as normal and happy and confident in the knowledge that my children are making progress. I will not be touching any of the screening materials until June!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

agreed

4. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Same with us.

5. same but have also bought & dowloaded a sample copy of test format. As well as doing my usual testing of sounds/words I am including words from the pack. So pupils are used to the different format.

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'll just do the tests when the time comes.

7. Msz

why have you bought a copy when the dfe published a free copy?

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Has anyone checked whether their school teaches new GPCs in year R and year 1 at a pace that will allow children to have learned the ones the test is likely to check by June of year 1?

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I really wouldn't waste any time on this. The parents will already have googled it and downloaded the sample materials.

10. Just more materials at different levels. Its not anything extra or huge, just something I thought would be useful for me personally as phonics is an area I need to put a lot of effort into (first year in KS1 - trained at KS2).
    I am also using the dfe copy.

11. Msz

oh!

12. Clearly you don't work in our school - can't imagine any of our parents doing this! But it would happen in other schools I've worked in.

13. Where can you buy these sample tests? I would be interested in buying it too.

14. Msz

Our parents wouldn't either but does it really matter

15. Fair enough - no it doesn't matter - just made me realise how different schools can be, that's all.

16. Msz

not sure our parents would know there is a test

17. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

our school offered two meetings for parents about reading in school and how to help at home, and covering the test. no one turned up to the afternoon one (scheduled to finish at normal hometime) and only one reply rec'd for the 6pm one, so that was cancelled. they were well advertised.
    we did try! there are other reading activities scheduled, we'll see how that goes.

18. Bookshelf2012 - could you let me know where you can buy the sample tests from?
    Many thanks

19. It's great to hear what you're doing - I guess we'll all prepare our children well...our children will do well...and the government won't be happy and
    they'll raise the goalposts! It's whats happened in the past anyway!