1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics test 'resit' in year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ladykaza, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Many apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I'm struggling to find information.
    The DoE site says that children who 'fail' the phonics test in year 1 should be given support, then resit in year 2. When should this happen? Do your year 2's just sit it at the same time as the next year 1's or is there an earlier deadline.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Page 28 says
    All children in Year 1 in the school year 2012/13 must take the phonics screening check.
    Children in Year 2 must also take the check if they did not meet the required standard in
    Year 1. However, it is possible to withdraw children from the check if the headteacher feels
    it is appropriate to do so.

Most children are expected to be able to access the phonics screening check, in particular
    section 1. However, a headteacher may decide that a child should not take part if they have
    not shown any understanding of grapheme-phoneme correspondences.

Before a final decision is made, parents must be told why their child is not being assessed
    and how the school is helping the child learn to decode using phonics. If appropriate,
    the school should also provide the parents with documentary evidence to support their
    decision.

3. Oh dear. That all sounds very serious. I was hoping that the head could decide not to put them through it again just because it is a complete pile of kack. Shame.

4. Msz

Our's enjoyed it and wanted to know when they could do it again

5. Just out of interest, was that before or after it had been reported to their parents that they hadn't met the expected standard?

6. Msz

both

7. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Thank you all that's great. Now I've just got to break it to my Yr 2 teacher, perhaps a box of chocs to accompany the ARA.

8. Msz

I suppose it depends how many pupils need retesting.

9. Yes, I am thrilled to be retesting around 15 in my Year 2 class.

10. Msz

I can imagine

11. So do I. Several.
    An English phonics test with nonsense words therefore seems to me the biggest piece of nonsense that any education minister has ever come up with.

12. Msz

As nonsense words have been used for decades as an effective diagnostic tool for decoding ability by Educational Psychologists I imagine the idea came from there masha.