1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics teaching..

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by grad96, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I used to use jolly book 2 and 3 and quite liked it for mix of phonics and grammar. The school I am in now has been told by QIO that we MUST use the North Lanarkshire scheme. It's heavy going but there are some good ideas and lots of paired work which the kids enjoy. You might want to have a look at the Highland Literacy Scheme as their website also has a few good ideas. North lanarkshire also has a support for learners pack but I think the school has to buy it and surprise surprise it's not cheap. I'll also take a look at the dyslexia website -thank you.

2. Your Jolly Phonics Handbook gives you all the main vowel and consonant digraphs after the initial sounds. Your vowel digraphs are: ee, ea, ou ,oo etc( any sound made with 2 vowels), long vowel sounds are those which straddle another letter with magic e : a-e, i-e, o-e and u-e. The consonant digraphs are: ch, sh, th etc . There are oddities like oy and oi. There are 43 main sounds used in English and all of these are in the first Jolly book. Consonant blends are those which start a word like: sc, st, str, br, cr etc.
    In P2 I found it useful to revise, revise and revise the vowel digraphs as children find these the hardest to grasp. Jolly Grammar 2 and 3 help to build on what has been learned in the first book. As mentioned already Highland Literacy Project website is very useful and has plenty of downloadable language resources which deal with phonics and language at various stages of the school. Hope this helps.

3. Oh forgot to say, the order is usually to teach the ch, sh, th, wh and ph first then move on to the vowel digraphs, I've found it useful to teach these in family groups so the children understand that some words have the same sound but have a different digraph spelling (e.g. ee in bee and ea in bean). So all those that make the sound of A are taught together - ai, ay, a-e - all th E sounds ee, ea and e-e, all th I sounds ie, igh, y and i-e, all the O sounds oa, ow, oe and o-e, and lastly all the U sounds ew, ue and u-e, with reference to oo which also can come up here. Then move on to aw and au, ou and ow as in cow, oi and oy then blends and further consonant digraphs and trigraphs.
    A C Black do a very good set of three Phonics Books as part of their Developing Literacy series, these are useful as back up resources for Jolly Grammar 2 and have the advantage of beeing photocopiable.

4. There are a variety of different phonics teaching schemes out there. My school use the Fast Phonics First scheme which is a synthetic phonics programme developed by the Clackmannanshire team, its's quite dry and very rapid but repetitive teaching method seems extremely dull to an adult but it gets results and is very good on developing handwriting (letter formation) and also word building skills. FPF also credits Jolly phonics in its handbook and the schemes differ very little in the order the sounds are taught; where the first set in JP's is SATIPN in FPF it's ATPNIS so no real difference there! The sounds are taught in these groupings to aid early word building (you can do this using magnetic letters for cvc words- consonant-vowel- consonant) you can make lots of words using SATIPN once you have taught the first six letters eg. sat, pat, tin, pin, nip, pit,sit etc etc. This set work best first for helping to develop this skill as quite a lot of words can be made very quickly.
    The only reason why I can think that wh is not there is to do with the fact that in spoken English the Scots aspirate this sound (like blowing out a candle,it's got air in it) and the English don't (they say wh like w). there are another few oddities like this where Scottish pronounciation makes it easier to differentiate the sounds eg aw (as in claw) and or.
    Which LA do you work for? Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further, I am fascinated by phonics, language and how children learn to spell, write and read. I have a particular interest in helping children to read write and recognise tricky words (those which don't fit the spelling pattern or sound pattern they make).
    B ;)

5. BTW Fast Phonics first teaches the sounds in this order
    1. ATPNIS 2. RMDE 3. C K CK 4. GLFOB 5. JZWU QU 6. VYXH
    then the consonant and vowel digraphs in these groupings
    7. CH SH TH 8. WH PH NG NK 9. EE OO 10. AR ER OR 11. AI OA IE UE and last of all 12. OU OI
    Of course that doesn't take account of all the other variants of particular sounds like those I mentioned in one of my previous posts. All those that say A E I O U.
    The list goes on!

6. I have written quite a bit on my blogs about the English spelling system and what learning to read and write involves, but have started work on a simpler explanation on
    http://literacyinthenews.blogspot.com/ what learning to read and write English involves.
    I have started with an explanation of the English spelling system and will go on to explain what this means for teaching reading next.
    Masha Bell

7. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, and shouldn't every primary school have a phonics scheme in place so that there is continuity and progression as the children move from stage to stage?
    I find it incredible that some NQTs are having to search the internet for basic teaching guidance that should be available in their place of work. For that matter, should a thorough review of current phonics schemes not form an integral part of primary ITE training?
    I am also interested, babette, in what you say about the synthetic phonics programme developed by the Clackmannanshire team. You point out that although it is quite dry, very rapid and repetitive, and seems extremely dull to an adult, it gets results and is very good at developing letter formation and word building skills.
    I often feel that it's the adults, sometimes not actually teaching in schools, that find some teaching methods 'boring'. The fact that the pupils enjoy the repetitive practice, and benefit from it, doesn't seem to matter.
    It seems to me that without agreed programmes of work in place, the primary curriculum is becoming more and more fragmented.

8. Most of these schemes/lists seem to refer to English pronunciation and not Scottish as someone has already mentioned. As far as I can tell we don't have two different 'oo' sounds in Scotland. This is just one example but there are more. I have yet to find a list that seems to apply to Scotland. I would be interested to know if anyone has created one or knows of one.

9. Hi Braeburn
    We do have two oo's - oo and ue as in blue; but you're right some of the pronounciations are particularly English : linking au, aw and or is the one that most annoys me! Unfortunately we've been lumbered with English spelling overlaid on a Scots/Gaelic language structure.
    Flyonthewall - Yes I find it shocking that Phonics is not taught at ITE universities, everyone I have asked ( whether they did B Ed or PGCE/PGDE) received little or no input on Phonics during their training; and those surveyed went to various teacher training institutions around Scotland. I had to learn by the usual process of osmosis which seems to be the way most pick up their knowledge. You're absolutely spot on that NQT's and Probationers should not have to trawl the internet to discover how to teach phonics, each authority and every school should have a progression and policy in place for phonics teaching in infants; it is a much neglected area which unfortunately impacts greatly on the future learning of many children.

10. Yes the aw/or one is particularly annoying! When I referred to two 'oo' sounds I meant that in Jolly Phonics (and many other programmes) they make a distinction between the 'oo' in book and the 'oo' in moon. Scottish children would hear no difference in these sounds. I have always had to adapt any teaching sequence I have come across because they are designed for use in English schools. As you say it must be a nightmare for NQTs and probationers because if they start following any of the English based progressions they will soon discover some of the problems! Surely someone must have created a phonics programme that applies to Scotland. The best I have come across is the Highland Literacy one which lists all the basic Scottish sounds - including 'ch' as in loch!

11. This is yet another English/Scottish contradiction. It also causes problems further up the school in spelling (and pronouncing) 'where', 'wear', and 'were'. We use the Jolly Phonics 'w' jingle for Scottish 'wh' and have made up our own 'w' jingle etc using 'watch'. Great ideas form other posters, thanks [​IMG]

12. Hi Tulip1
    Yes "wh" is aspirated, that means there is air in the sound pattern. Say "wh" while blowing out an imaginary candle and you can feel the air on your hand. "W" on the other hand does not do this, there is n o air in the sound. I have always tried to get the kids to feel this whenever they say a "wh" word, unfortunately there is a lot of lazy speech around and children are not corrected in their mispronounciations by their parents using the correct model. "f" is now beginning to take the place of "th" in certain parts of Scotland when latterly it was only heard in London!

13. Hi Babette - I know what you mean - I have a BEd 3 student at the moment who says 'wiff' instead of 'with' and I am in a quandary as to whether her tutor should address this or me. Difficult enough for P1 to change never mind a student!!! [​IMG]

14. The trouble with these sorts of pronounciations is that they then become ingrained in spelling patterns because the children think that this is the sound made, they need to be correctly modelled by parents, teachers and others to effect any sort of change or you will continually get "wiv" and "wif" as the spelling for "with". Poor readers struggle to self correct their spelling due to the lack of contact with the written form of words in books, so the spelling mistake can perpetuate itself for a very long time and become a habit. Lack of attention to the correct grammatical structure of a sentence can also mark someone out as being poorly educated - not good if you plan to be a teacher! These kinds of mistakes can grate on the ear of those who think themselves superior and ultimately have an impact on employability and respect for that person. Sad but true, even in these days of equality.