1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics/sounds display?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Sep 7, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My TA has a much loved set of 'sounds flowers' that she has provided for teachers to have on their walls in year 2 for the past few years. I'm not really sure as there are a huge number of the things all fairly large.

what do the rest of you display in year 2?

2. I'm in year 2 and I have a phonics wall. The children last year got really good at using it to help with their spelling. Throughout the year I add the alternative spellings for the sounds.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I keep display to a minimum but a phonics display is necessary (wouldn't go with the flowers personally needs to be clear and unfussy) .

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think I need a phonics display as well, but a large one with all sounds and examples of words is sooo much, it is unusable in the classes it is already in.
    I also don't teach my 'class' phonics, but a group made from year 1 and 2, all working at the same phase. Probably going to be phase 5.

5. Msz

The phonics display is for children to use in their independent writing not for direct teaching

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sooo you have all sounds? There just seems too many to have all of them, yet I have children working at each phase in my class. Those who will really need the display to help them will have no hope of finding the sound or word they want.

7. Msz

Group all the ways of representing each sound together (it doesn't need to be huge) on an A4 sheet

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So far, i've got a ********** plant with some of the HF words (The first few) and this will grow / change over the course of the year. I usually also do a tricky words tree and put that on the wall with tricky words on the leaves. Otherwise I don't really do anything for Phonics.

9. Msz

Why are people still supporting **********? [​IMG]

10. Bev's got some good alternative spellings display sheets on her communiction4all website.

11. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

12. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/pi_catalogue_deb_combined.pdf

Look at pages 2 and 4 in particular for the poster ranges:
    Alphabetic Code Charts (about 26 variations)
    Alphabetic Code Frieze Posters
    Picture Posters
    Mini Posters (cumulative words and tricky words)
    Say the Sounds Posters
    Grouping the Spelling Alternative Posters
    Early Years Starter Package Frieze Posters
    etc.

13. That's why it's probably better to display the tricky words that they need most of all, grouped by sound. U can start with a few and add to them as u go.
    I have sorted the 300 most HF words from LS into those with regular spellings and those which have some tricky letters.
    I'll try to paste them in.
    U may want to start with just the tricky in the 1st 100, among which
    <font size="3">15 especially tricky:</font> <font size="3">Said, </font><font size="3">To, do, into, two, one, only, other, come, some, you, your, could, </font>their, there, Another 23 contain surplus letters or are tricky is some small way:the - he, she, we, me, be, all, call, of, down, now, was, want, who, when, what, where, which, are, have, before, more, were.

14. Copying and pasting never works well with the tes system, so I'll put in more gaps for regular and tricky words in the 300 most HF ones from L&S. (They may end up very spaced out, but u can save them in Word and format them as u like.)

Regular and trickier-to-spell words among the 300 most used English words: (Spellings for the /air/ sound and /ee/, short and long /oo/ and /oa/o-e/
    are the hardest because they have so many exceptions that they have no real ptterns.
    So I'll put them first.)
    been feet green keep need queen see sleep three tree trees
    even here these
    each eat please sea tea key be he he&rsquo;s me she we we&rsquo;re
    people could couldn&rsquo;t would
    book good look looked looking looks took
    pulled put
    food room school soon too
    do into to two who through
    home over clothes going
    boat cold don&rsquo;t most oh old only told go no so grow know snow window
    air there there&rsquo;s their where bear a am an and as at back bad began can cat dad gran grandad had has hat have magic man ran sat than that that&rsquo;s animals dragon (without doubled consonants as in &lsquo;granny, stagger&rsquo;)
    baby came gave made make place take again great away day may play say way they

car dark garden hard park
    are laughed after asked can&rsquo;t fast last plants

because ever never[/i] (no doubled consonants) big children did didn&rsquo;t different fish him his if in is it it&rsquo;s its king little miss still thing things think this which will wind wish with live lived river birds first girl work inside like liked cried time while by fly my why I I&rsquo;ll I&rsquo;m I&rsquo;ve night right
    across along box dog floppy fox from got hot long lots not of off on stop stopped top gone
    want wanted was what or for horse morning before more your door
    but duck fun jumped just much mum must run sun under up us
    another come (coming) mother other one once some something use you
    about around found house mouse our out round shouted
    down how now town Oddments:boy Mr Mrs narrator giant suddenly

15. The unpredictable way the tes system messes up formating is so irritating.
    I'll try copying from my last message and put in a more spaces.

Regular and trickier-to-spell words among the 300 most used English words:

(Spellings for the /air/ sound and /ee/, short and long /oo/ and /oa/o-e/
    are the hardest because they have so many exceptions that they have no real ptterns.
    So I'll put them first.)

been feet green keep need queen see sleep three tree trees
    even here these
    each eat please sea tea key be he he&rsquo;s me she we we&rsquo;re
    people

could couldn&rsquo;t would
    book good look looked looking looks took
    pulled put

food room school soon too
    do into to two who through

home over clothes going
    boat cold don&rsquo;t most oh old only told
    go no so grow know snow window

air there there&rsquo;s their where bear

a am an and as at back bad began can cat dad gran grandad had has hat have magic man ran sat than that that&rsquo;s
    animals dragon (without doubled consonants as in &lsquo;granny, stagger&rsquo;)

baby came gave made make place take again great
    away day may play say way they

car dark garden hard park
    are laughed after asked can&rsquo;t fast last plants

because saw all called small water thought

the bed best end get help her let let&rsquo;s new next red them then went when yes
    said head friends every everyone were
    better eggs fell tell well
    any many ready very ever never (no doubled consonants)

big children did didn&rsquo;t different fish him his if in is it it&rsquo;s its king little miss still thing things think this which will wind wish with
    live lived river
    birds first girl work

inside like liked cried time while by fly my why
    eyes find I I&rsquo;ll I&rsquo;m I&rsquo;ve night right

across along box dog floppy fox from got hot
    long lots not of off on stop stopped top gone
    want wanted was what

or for horse morning before more your door

but duck fun jumped just much mum must run sun under up us
    another come (coming) mother other one once some something

use you

about around found house mouse our out round shouted
    down how now town

Oddments:boy Mr Mrs narrator giant suddenly

Tricky in just tricky in the 1st 100,
    among which 17 especially tricky:
    Said,
    To, do, into, two, who, you,
    one, other, come, some, only, your, could,

Another 21 contain surplus letters or are tricky is some small way:
    the - he, she, we, me, be,
    all, call,
    of, down, now,
    was, want, what,
    when, which,
    are, have, before, more, were.

Masha Bell

16. While concentrating on the formatting I managed to omit and add a few words in my explanations.
    Sorrry.
    If u want to make a chart with just the 91 main English spelling patterns, u might find the following helpful:

Cat;
    plate, plain, play;
    air; car;
    sauce, saw;
    bed; /at/ot/ut, crab/ clap, kite/kept, comic, pick, seek, risk;
    at, catch;
    dog;
    end; eel, funny; herb;
    fish;
    garden;
    house;
    ink;
    bite, by;
    jug, gentle, bridge, oblige;
    lips;
    man;
    nose, ring;
    pot, want, quarrel;
    bone, old, toe;
    coin, toy; ;
    order, wart, quarter, more;
    out, now;
    pin;
    quick;
    rug; sun, face, icy;
    shop, station, cautious, facial, musician; tap, delicate;
    this; thing;
    cup;
    cube, cue;
    van, have, river; window;
    fix;
    yes;
    zip, wise;
    vision, treasure;
    Endings: doable, fatal, single, ordinary, flatten, presence, present, other;
    Prefixes: decide, invite
    All the exceptions to the above are shown at
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2009/12/rules-and-exceptions-of-english.html U could copy those, delete all the exceptions to begin with and add them as u teach them.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW Thank you all...will definitely check out all these websites and ideas at the weekend and make a decision.

18. I don't teach any more and was mainly secondary, but I think that, knowing what I know now,
    I would make a display with the 80 main spellings down the trunk of a tree, with small illustrations, and then put the irregular ones on leaves either side, with a connecting line to the main pattern, adding to them throughout the year.
    I hope u can understand what I mean.

19. ...and minnieminx has the time?[​IMG]

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I could find the time, but not the artistic talent needed.

I also think the 80 main spelling with extra words is just too many for my year 2s. Most are on phase 2,3 or 4 of L&S. Finding the sound they want from a group of 80 is going to be beyond them.

The phonics group I will have is a phase 5 group, made up of children from all the KS1 classes. I might display just sounds from phase 2 and 3 and have mats from phase 4 and 5 available. Then have lots of phase 5 bits that we get out just for phonics sessions, but that those from my class in the group (about 4!) know where they are should they want them in literacy.