1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Screening Year R and 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TomHilyard, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TomHilyard

TomHilyard New commenter

We do a past phonics screening check at the end of year R to give us a baseline going into year 1, we are trying to find a level that the children should be at in order toe easily pass the screen at the end of year 1. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if you would be willing to share your thoughts on a target number for the end of year R. We believe it is somewhere between 10 & 14.

Thanks

2. run_out_of_imagination

run_out_of_imagination New commenter

Its not something we do, but have you looked at the content domain? If the "average" child hasn't covered Phase 5 yet you can discount words within the check that fall in to that Phase. If you really need a number look at the 32/40 "pass" mark from previous years I.e.80% and apply that to the number of words which fall into Phase 4 or lower. Maybe????

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Do you have evidence from previous years to see if they reach expected in the ELG for reading they are likely to pass the phonics test? Why do anything else?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I understand this, and might be tempted myself, but it makes me sooooo sad.

If the child is secure in phase 4 and champing at the bit to start phase 5, they'll be fine.
    If the child is already in phase 5, they'll be fine.

If the child is within phase 4, they'll probably be fine.

If the child is withing phase 2 or 3, then you'll have your work cut out.

Billie73 likes this.