1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics revision for teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imsdal, Oct 21, 2011.

1. I have been a teacher for a couple of years in the upper end of the school but will be working part-time with Y1 children in a weeks time. I'm generally sorted with most things but need to revise on the correct phonics sounds. Is there anywhere where I can listen to the correct sounds to make sure I am using them properly?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. If you mean the pure sounds for each letter sound, its pretty easy if you always remember to keep your mouth in the starting position to avoid over-emphasis.

4. http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/ has some good video clips of how to pronounce sounds and answers lots of FAQ HTH

5. Consonants don't actually have a sound value, it is only vowels which are clearly 'sounded', be aware it is very difficult to enunciate some of the consonants, such as /t/, /d/,/v/ /b/, without putting a tiny /uh/ on the end of them!
    The confusion poorly enunciated consonants causes children was brought home to me a couple of days ago with a Y8 child spelling 'supplies' as 'splies'. As far as he was concerned the first letter of his spelling spelled /suh/, thus taking care of the first two sounds in the word[​IMG] It took a lot of hissing ssssss to convince him otherwise.

6. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid as I've noticed myself doing this before.

Thanks for those links they look helpful.

7. PS I've decided to practise this weekend so I'm sure I'll drive OH mad!