1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics related - how would you teacher this

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Jun 7, 2011.

1. I have not once been rude.On the other hand, Masha is a racist bigot who accuses that English speakers aren't aware of their language, don't understand and have to be told in long lists by foreign experts who know better.As for humour, Masha and her followers/socks are totally without any like all evangelists.

2. When I write about them in articles, I always use <...> for spellings and /..../ for sounds.
    The word lists on http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html are all for exceptions from the main spelling patterns and I have used
    slashes to show alternative spellings for patterns that have large numbers of exceptions, e.g. /
    ear.
    I think I will list all the patterns in the order that the words are listed first and write an explanation as well, before the listings.

3. Somebody who called himself Plantex used to be similar. Perhaps it's him under a different guise?
    I am sorry that I attract these wasps that buzz nearly every post by me and make it more difficult to have a sensible discussion.

4. air/ are/ ear.

I am suggesting that the above method is confusing because you are putting the spellings in the slash mark notation which is usually used to denote the sounds.
    You are therefore being inconsistent with your own notation used elsewhere - and with a standard way of denoting sounds.

5. You might change this to something like:
    /air/ air are ear

6. but you post Spam and twaddle and you pontificate. You dismiss experts as fools and wasps. You are a spamming nuisance.

7. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Heming whateveryourname:
    You should take Debbie's example of trying to help by offering some constructive criticism to consider. I am all for suggestions if they are meant to help reflect to on a valid point.
    I think you are here purely to flame. I don't know if you have another posting name but I suspect you do as you are always in there stirring up trouble.
    Masha would be well advised to ignore your abuse.

8. Masha, when did you ever engage in sensible discussion with anyone who does not agree with you?

The fact is that people like hemingfordgrey are completely sick and tired of your repetitive pasting and your spurious arguments. You are a nasty piece of work who runs around claiming abuse if anyone disagrees with you.

A plague on both your weblogs!

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Well thanks to all the helpful people on this thread my DD just spent ages thinking of words with /k/ sounds in them and working out which patterns they fell into and whether the /k/ sound was spelt c, k or ck.
    I was amazed that after some initial brief reluctance she was fascinated and then just wanted to go on and on doing it. She thought of loads just randomly, and then while she was getting ready for bed was scanning all kinds of labels in the bathroom to generate more ideas for herself.
    She seemed really chuffed with the game; it made me wonder if as well as just enjoying seeing some sense and pattern (she likes pattern in general) brought to the whole thing there was also some relief as she is aware that there are spelling choices but does not know how to make the right ones. She is not quick at making any form of choice, so maybe spelling in a phonically plausible fashion is not "freeing" for her in the way it might be for some children. Instead she will find it agonising wondering which of the many spellings for a phoneme to put down each time she writes a word.
    It really was quite a revelation for both of us. If I had dreamed up the word lists there is no way she would have been interested in the spellings of so many words, but by doing it this way she chose to work out the spelling of about sixty or seventy words or more this evening.

Masha I haven't done the spelling experiment yet on my younger child. At the moment she seems to have reached that magical point with her phonic knowledge that she is able to work out an awful lot of new words when reading, so we are enjoying her reading to me a lot each day. She's a similar age to your granddaughter you mentioned a while back - 5 and a bit. It's great.
    Again because you have all been passionate about synthetic phonics and very informative for a beginner like me, I have given her a much more solid grounding in SP at home than my first child had and it seems to have reaped benefits.

10. Vanity published twaddle with no peer review. That's not rude, just an observation.

11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Good[​IMG]

12. Fantastic! It's great to see a child's reading really take off. Sadly, with many children it never happens.
    There is no rush for the spelling experiment, but I would love u to start a thread on 'the most misspelt words in Yr 6' sometime. And I also hope, as I said before, that u will get your daughter's written work home before the summer holidays and will perhaps find the time to make a list of the words that she misspelled. They could provide a good starting point for a discussion about spelling errors.
    Does your daughter like Dr Seuss? He helped to make my granddaughter keen on learning to read. They had dad's and granddads in for reading aloud in her school yesterday and my husband read 'Horton hatches an egg". He asked the group of children he read to if they had heard of him and none had. I think that's a shame, because he did wonders for our children 35 years ago and is doing so again for our grandchildren.

13. Oops!

14. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

DD1 loved Dr Seuss - both reading the easier ones out loud and having me read some of the more complex ones to her again and again. I wouldn't really have known about them but we had some passed on by the next door neighbour and by a friend who homeschools. I don't think DD2 has the same desire to read them - she has other plans - Roald Dahl chapter books are her current goal. B ut you never know!
    I have another spelling quest I have set myself this week - the "ul" sound at the end of words in all its colourful forms.
    Is there any such thing where someone has set out a term by term way that they would cover spelling in an SP way?