1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics related - how would you teacher this

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

One child...one lesson - 3 different misspellings for one word.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why is it so difficult for you to understand that people on this website express their own opinions as individuals and that they happen to agree - or disagree - with others who express their own opinions has little or no influence on them?
    Now you've really lost the plot!
    It worries me that you probably really believe what you're saying.

3. Just been reading some articles about spelling in Spain. It seems that as many as 70% of Secondary School leavers have problems with their spelling. The remedial approaches suggested are familiar enough and none of them suggests changing Spanish Orthography, which is, after all almost totally transparent.Not just England then.

4. I also have a book called Superspeller (Graham King, 2000) which lists' the 2000 most misspelled words in English', but it includes very little used ones foreign ones like 'longueur, loquat, louche, loup, louvre'.
    It is because English dictionaries include so many words which are not really English that has created the myth that English has far more words than other languages.
    Some years ago I took the trouble to exclude those like the ones above from King's list and ended up with just 797. I don't think I ever typed them all out though.

5. Any word that finds its way into usage becomes an English word. We've never needed a committee to manage the language. It manages well enough by itself.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It isn't there either

7. Using the file search facility on my computer I discovered that I had made a start on typing out the words from King's 2000 which educated adults are likely to know, but gave up at the end of C. He lists alternative spellings for quite a few, although my Word spellchecker does not like some of them.
    <font face="Times New Roman">abacus abate abattoir abbreviate abdominal aberration abhorrent abrogate abscess absorption abstemious abyss abysmal accelerate accelerator accessory acclimatise accolade accommodate accommodation accompanist accordion accrue acetic ascetic acetylene achievable achievement aching acknowledgement acolyte acoustic acquaintance acquiescent acquire acquitted acumen acupuncture address adenoid adieu adjourn adjunct admissible adolescence adolescent advantageous adventitious adze aeon aerial aesthetic affidavit aficionado <u>ageing /aging</u> agglomeration aggrandise aggrieve agribusiness alienate alimentary allege aluminium amanuensis amoeba amphibious anaemia anaemic anaesthetic anaesthetise analytical anathema ancillary androgynous anemone aneurism annihilate annotate annul anodyne anoint anomalous anonymous antediluvian antenna antihistamine antipodes aphrodisiac apiary apocalypse apogee apoplectic apostrophe apothecary appal, apparel apparently appendicitis apposite aqueous arbitrary arboretum archetypal archipelago armadillo arraign artefact ascendancy asinine asphyxiate asphalt assassin assessable assuage asthma attenuate aubergine bachelor baguette bailiff balalaika ballot balsam <u>banisters/bannisters</u> banns barbiturate baroque barrel battalion bayonet beige belligerent beneficent biannual biennial <u>biased/biassed</u> bilingual bilious biopsy bivouac blancmange bogie/bogey/bogy bourgeois braille bric-a-brac broccoli bronco brooch brusque buccaneer bucolic budgerigar bulrush bulwark bureaucracy cacophony <u>caesarean/caesarian</u> + cesarian(US) caffeine calendar calibre callisthenics calypso camaraderie camelia camomile/chamomile camouflage cannibal cappuccino carat <u>carburettor/carburetter</u> <u>carcass/carcase</u> caress caster castor casualty cataclysmic catalogue catarrh catastrophe cauliflower caveat cemetery centenary cerebral chandelier changeable chaperone charismatic chauffeur chihuahua chlorophyll cholesterol chromosome chrysalis chrysanthemum cinnamon cirrhosis clairvoyant clandestine clanger clangour clarinet clich&eacute; clique coalesce <u>coconut/cocoanut</u> cocoon colander coleslaw colitis collapsible colloquial colossal combated commemorate commensurate commiserate commissionaire committed communique complaisant complement compliment concomitant condominium conscientious consensus consummate continuum contractual coronary correlation corroborate coup creche crochet cul-de-sac curriculum cutthroat cyst czar </font>

8. Msz

I remember learning chrys an the mum for a spelling test in primary school a very long time ago ...

9. I know some people think that both I and my work are a waste of space and time, but I have just had another email telling me differently.
    &ldquo;I've just visited your website and wanted to let you know how interesting I found it.

I am a reception class teacher, who is also extremely dyslexic. I have a first class degree in psychology from Bristol, and did my dissertation on dyslexia in 'compensated' dyslexics - people with dyslexia who are highly functioning (ie all studying at Bristol). It has always fascinated me just how crippling it is to be an otherwise intelligent individual who is totally crippled by not being able to do something other people find relatively simple. My spelling age is 11 1/4, and I'm 31. I cant teach key stage 2 classes without having to seriously prepare and constantly struggle with the writing aspect.

It really stuck me how we are teaching spelling rules without relating them to how often that spelling pattern actually occurs in the English language (or used is commonly used in English). I have taught 'ue' as a spelling pattern, not realising there are only a handful of words spelt like that. It would have made more sense to teach it as an irregular word family. Your web site helped to make this inconsistency really clear. Thank you.

I just wanted to let you know how nice it was to see someone writing clearly about the subject and providing good FREE information about the horrors of English spelling. &ldquo;

10. Unfortunately, you are doing the person a disservice. Your site provides no solutions and never will.I do hope you asked the person if you could use their response. Don't you realise that this kind of response is inconsequential as evidence?

11. Now, the pot half full teaching approach is to teach that the grapheme 'ue' is code for two sounds /yoo/ and /oo/.
    Provide the words which children will find helpful to know as they grow older and which make these words 'regular' and learnable - rather than a group of 'irregular' words.
    It's the same for the split digraph 'u-e': this is code for /yoo/ and /oo/ and has a useful bank of words which are very teachable/learnable - especially when introduced through practical resources and perhaps spelling stories.
    mashabell's approach is to list words which include some letter or letter group in common with different pronunciations to promote the notion of spelling reform.
    In the meantime, surely it is better to provide materials which regularise the language and make it teachable/learnable - because that is how the English written code exists right now - and children need to learn it to prevent, or minimise, dyslexic tendencies.
    To support this, there are other kinds of free resources, starting with various Alphabetic Code Charts to illustrate the relationship between sounds of speech and spelling alternatives.
    How about we do our best as teachers to sort out the English written code for our pupils? This is not an exact science, but we can certainly make the alphabetic code teachable with some thought and organisation.

12. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

The beauty of this post is that it is said without a trace of irony and has a complete absence of any reflective ability, given what I'd written earlier on this thread.
    It perfectly displays all the characteristics of what Goffman and Bauman would term 'othering' - the assigning of an inferior identity, and using personal comments, to place a person outside the mainstream and therefore depersonalise them and invite further attacks. Thus:
    1 The rhetorical question phrased to place the target as outside the mainstream:
    "Why is it so difficult [implies out of the ordinary] for you [thus 'other'] that people [the mainstream] express their own opinions as individuals and that they happen to... [but here there is no realisation that this was just another opinion - the argument against it is not an argument against it, it is merely an assertion that places someone outside the colllective which was the point being made].
    2 "Now you've really lost the plot!" An assertion again designed to place someone outside the group, as with the later attack on belief.
    Looking over on Opinion, the abuse against mashabell is still currently in full flow with celticqueen in full flight, and a level of posting that it would be impossible for a single poster to reply to. The weight of contrary, personalised and abusive posts reinforces the view that this level of intolerance is OK. Allegations of spamming are spurious. No-one has to read anything here - it is a public forum, not a personal inbox - so what is going on. It's simply that a collective view has been taken that a perceived interloper is unwelcome and pretty much offends the purity of the forum.
    While I'm at it, the supreme irony is that one of the co-abusers, hemingfordgrey, has likened mashabell to a Jehovah's Witness. So here we have 'othering' by reference to a perceived undesirable and worthless group, interestingly this being a group that was courageous in its refusal to abandon its beliefs of neutrality in the face of the Nazis and ended up in concentration camps. Plus ca change et cetera to mix ancient and modern
    One of the great mysteries of the 20th century was why a load of seemingly sensible and decent people condoned genocide, and depersonalisation, degradation and making groups and indivduals 'other' meant that 'normal' people were able to ignore normal ethical and human constraints to indulge in or turn a blind eye to persecution.
    This is what's going on here. It's happened with weebecka and it's happening with mashabell. Nothing they have said warrants this.
    Feel free to suggest I've lost the plot, but I think this unthinking [and all your post was unthinking - it was just an attack, devoid of argument] and persistent aggression which you and others are able to justify to yourself is exactly the type of collective insanity that can lead to appalling consequences.
    Read Zygmunt Bauman - Modernity and the Holocaust.

13. Msz

Have you heard of Godwin's law?

14. A message constantly repeated without revision and unresponsive to alterative opinions. Masha and JWs both claim to be doing it for the benefit of those that don't understand and both believe they have to be tireless in their evangelism.Seems a reasonable comparison.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Clearly not. I suspect that if any other poster than his own partner had employed it on this thread andy may not have been moved to criticise anyone for pointing it out as a distinct loss of plot!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read it. It was so outstandingly silly that I didn't realise that I was supposed to take it seriously.
    Moonpenny has repeatedly suggested that there is some sort of collective posting against marsha. I am somewhat bemused to find that you seem to believe the same thing.
    How is this supposed "othering" supposed not to happen on a public forum where an individual posts something with which a number of posters disagree. This is a serious question which begs a serious answer.
    I've made no allegations of spamming and have, in fact, posted on several occasions that I couldn't care less how often masha posts her lists or her links. I have read them and disagreed with what she says and I have the right on this opinion forum to say as much no matter how many other people post to say the same thing, or even if no-one else disagrees with her.
    For you, and your partner, to compare this to Hitler or nazis makes you both look rather pitiful in my opinion. There was a time I'd have credited you, at least, with more sense.
    No matter how often you, or moonpenny, repeat this it remains a nonsense.
    ...again, nonsense repeated remains nonsense.
    Unthinking? That'll be in your opinion, won't it.
    Beyond that, yes, I think you must have lost the plot if you're really citing Godwin!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read it. It was so outstandingly silly that I didn't realise that I was supposed to take it seriously.
    Moonpenny has repeatedly suggested that there is some sort of collective posting against marsha. I am somewhat bemused to find that you seem to believe the same thing.
    How is this supposed "othering" supposed not to happen on a public forum where an individual posts something with which a number of posters disagree. This is a serious question which begs a serious answer.
    I've made no allegations of spamming and have, in fact, posted on several occasions that I couldn't care less how often masha posts her lists or her links. I have read them and disagreed with what she says and I have the right on this opinion forum to say as much no matter how many other people post to say the same thing, or even if no-one else disagrees with her.
    For you, and your partner, to compare this to Hitler or nazis makes you both look rather pitiful in my opinion. There was a time I'd have credited you, at least, with more sense.
    No matter how often you, or moonpenny, repeat this it remains a nonsense.
    ...again, nonsense repeated remains nonsense.
    Unthinking? That'll be in your opinion, won't it.
    Beyond that, yes, I think you must have lost the plot if you're really citing Godwin!

18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Strange how you've ended up on this thread,serendipity.
    I remember you going over visit the maths forum on a regular basis to join in with the ganging up of Weebecka - almost exactly the same type of personal attacks- incidentally,she has asked me to join in over on the Linkedin Educational forums - apparently, it is possible to have an educational discussion without it being trashed ....maybe , Masha could do join as well.
    As for Godwin's law ...Andy's posts referred to a well researched social phenomena which provides an explanation as to why certain sections of society are dehumanised which then allows other people to feel fully jusitifed in their actions/opinions,no matter how unjustified or awful these may be - follow the links if anyone is really interested in finding out more.
    Anyway, he is watching Scott and Baily now so you'll have to wait patiently for a reply.