1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics problem!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by german_1, Nov 9, 2019 at 11:34 AM.

1. german_1

german_1 New commenter

Morning all,

I am teaching Reception at the minute and we have started phase 2 phonics. We are using the Jolly phonics songs to learn the sounds. We have done 13 sounds so far. We have a high ratio of SEN chn in the class, some with violent behaviour. At the request of management we are using the Read Write Inc rhymes for writing the letters down. (Maisie mountain mountain for m).
    The head of school came in to class yesterday and did a writing task 1-2-1 with a few children. She was concerned that the children are getting confused between the different things taught.
    My argument is teach them the sounds first, letter formation later. Any thoughts? We do not buy in to Read write inc and partly due to the area (high deprivation) we also have a low baseline too.
    Our basis for phonics is letters and sounds but I am aware many Rec classes may have done lots more sounds by now.

What would you do?
    I know Jolly phonics in many ways is old school and not many use it anymore, but it is working. Even my lowers are using at home - I had a parent tell me this week her son puts it on the main television on repeat. He is now reading letters he knows outside the home and can decode some CVC words. She was thrilled.

I would love some advice.

Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It does sound a bit like a muddle of several schemes.
    If you use the RWI rhymes for formation, you could use those for reading as well.
    I don't teach in the same kind of school as you, but we teach reading with the RWI rhymes and then move to writing later, as children are ready. When they start to write, they already know the formation from their reading.

If your basis is L&S, then making sure children are secure in phase 1 and then continuing that alongside phase 2 is what's usual. How soon you move to phase 2 is dependent on your cohort.

As long as you are confident that by the end of the year the vast majority will be secure in phase 2 and 3 GPC knowledge and happily blending and segmenting (phase 4) for both reading and writing, then you are doing it right.

3. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I'm not a fan of sticking to one scheme rigidly as I prefer to create bespoke things for my children. But it also sounds like you're not 100% clear on what is best. Share your expert opinion and push towards your preferred option and what you think is best and then you'll be able to collate the resulting evidence to prove it.