1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Phase 4 and 5 (Year 1)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Hannah2803, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Hi all, hope you are all enjoying the Christmas Break!
    I have just secured my first TA position within a Primary School in Canterbury, Kent- I have had no training and experience I have had was a month with Year R in a hands on roll- taking groups to do painting etc! At my new school, the Teacher has just informed me that next term, I am to take the phase 4 or 5 phonics group! Problem is, I dont have a clue what this entails/what I have to do! I am aware that they wouldn't just throw me in at the deep end and let me just 'DIY', but it would be nice to have some knowledge before I go back, so I know what she is talking about!
    Questions inc. Assesment methods, what Phases 4 and 5 are (abilities what they are expected to know) and what I will have to do when I take the group, maybe a few plans too? Had a look on here and I feel some of the wording on the plans is a bit alien- I need simple for now guys!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year!
    Hannah

2. Hi all, hope you are all enjoying the Christmas Break!
    I have just secured my first TA position within a Primary School in Canterbury, Kent- I have had no training and experience I have had was a month with Year R in a hands on roll- taking groups to do painting etc! At my new school, the Teacher has just informed me that next term, I am to take the phase 4 or 5 phonics group! Problem is, I dont have a clue what this entails/what I have to do! I am aware that they wouldn't just throw me in at the deep end and let me just 'DIY', but it would be nice to have some knowledge before I go back, so I know what she is talking about!
    Questions inc. Assesment methods, what Phases 4 and 5 are (abilities what they are expected to know) and what I will have to do when I take the group, maybe a few plans too? Had a look on here and I feel some of the wording on the plans is a bit alien- I need simple for now guys!!
    Thanks in advance,
    Seasons Greetings and a Happy New Year!
    Hannah

3. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

Have a look at the DfE Letters and Sounds Phase 4 & 5 (pdf 04 & 05) to give you an idea of what will be expected - here's the link...
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationdetail/Page1/DFES-00281-2007#downloadableparts
    There's lots of info and ideas to start you off. I'm sure your school will have a preferred assessment format but if not there are some good ones on TES site.
    It might be worth looking at Phase 3 to see where they have come from.
    Also check out this link www.teachfind.com/national-strategies/teaching-activities-related-articulation-phonemes-vowels-and-consonants - to listen to the correct articulation of the vowel and consonant phonemes. Useful if you haven't done any Letters and Sounds training at all.
    Good luck - hope this gives you a starting point![​IMG]