1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics Phase 2 Job Observation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sgnqt17, May 16, 2018.

1. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

I have just received an invitation to an observation next week for my first NQT job.

The brief is to teach a 15 minutes Phonics lesson to 8 Reception children, they are currently learning phase 2 sounds.

Any ideas that will help me to stand out from the usual Phonics activities in the letters and sounds document?

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's your relationship with the children and how you teach the phonics, techniques you use to ensure they learn, which will make you stand out.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Something practical.
    See if 101 ways to learn phonics has a 'look inside' feature on Amazon and nick an activity from there.
    Or look on ABC's website for some writing ideas and use those with some phase 2 GPCs.

Playdough has to be amazing...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Thanks, I’ll take a look!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Yes, I know the relationship with the children is what is important. I’ve done a couple of observations before. I just wanted some feedback on lessons that went really well for people that they may like to share.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Agreed.
    The other resource I liked was a sandtray for them to trace out letter with their fingers.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Shaving foam is cool as well...but may be too messy for an interview! :D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I took playdough to an interview for a college lecturer once. I didn' get the job but they did tell me it was by far the most popular activity with the students, and the interviewers had never seen anyone bring it before.

Have a think about an activity you have taught before that you could develop.

9. Bettybigeyes

Bettybigeyes New commenter

What about having pictures of things that you've lost cvc words and see if they can help you write them so you can tell the police or a shopping list?

Reception children love a fly squatter what about some form of splat or a musical corners type game when they have to run to the word as you show them a picture you could even do it outside with chalk?

MissSnack and Lara mfl 05 like this.