1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics organisation?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beershop, Sep 14, 2015.

1. beershop

beershop New commenter

Hi all. I'm new ks1 lead in a new school. I'm trying to 'stream' phonics in ks1 so children move off to their relevant group, rather than class teachers teaching from phase 3-5 or even ph6 in one class. Seems obvious to me and the teachers are keen. But some TAs are worried about 'leading' a group and the planning side of it. It's agreed that the teachers will plan for the TAs but give them time to prep. I know they're fab TAs so I know they'll be fine but want to make the process as painless as possible.

I just printed a week of phonics play planning for the phase 3 TAs. I'd expect them to flow through it but if it was too easy, jump forward, or if too hard, to keep going at it. But another teacher gave her TA just one day of planning. Then the TA will give her feedback from that day and she'll plan the next day for her. Seems onerous to me. I don't like planning every single night!

Also, if they're phase 3, they really do need to be pushing forward quite quickly so a sound a day is minimum really.

Having taught rwi for the last 2 years, I'm used to the pace and demands of it but feel out of the loop with letters and sounds again.

Sorry to witter but what do you do, what do you think about steaming, the planning, the pace etc??!!! Thanks all!

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

The problem with streaming is that the children working below expected for their year group won't be exposed to the higher-level teaching. When I taught Year 2, I taught the whole class Phase 6 and then differentiated the activities so they used sounds appropriate for their phase. They then had additional phonics sessions once or twice a week to continue to boost their knowledge of the lower phases.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I used to work in a school that taught phonics this way. I think weekly plans are a good idea, but perhaps the other teacher prefers to plan daily, at least initially; he/she might say it seems more onerous to plan for lessons that might be too easy or hard.

One downside to having TAs leading a group is that those groups miss out on being taught by a qualified teacher. You might want to consider rotating the groups each half term, so that all children receive teaching by a qualified teacher for at least part of the year. We did this and the second half term was easier to plan for, as I had a good working knowledge of the group my TA was teaching - having taught those children myself in the first half term.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Agree with previous posters it just widens the gap and you end up with kids in KS2 still working on phase 2.

My recommendation would be to ask for high quality phonics training and throw away the phonics play planning.