1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics match funding catalogue of approved resources

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Msz, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

2. The programmes, decodable books, training and resources in the catalogue will not be exactly the same as those that appear on the self-assessed phonics list Msz posted above. There was a whole different vetting procedure for those wanting to be in the catalogue. As a result, I've heard that a couple of the phonics items on the list above have not got into the catalogue, whilst at least a couple of items that failed the phonics vetting have got through the, much stricter imo, matched funding vetting and into the catalogue [​IMG]

3. I notice no mention of Reading Recovery or any of their preferred books.

4. I phoned ESPO today as the Department of Education website said it would be available today and they said it won't be ready for a couple of weeks.

5. Msz

An interim online version of the catalogue will be made available by 23 September 2011. During the following weeks a full replacement catalogue will be sent in hard copy to all schools with Key Stage 1 pupils. This will replace the interim version and will also be available online.

6. Are you glad or sad about this?

7. Anyone have any preferences from these lists? All sound wonderful but obviously the publishers are going for the hard sell. Would appreciate some 'unbiased' feedback about any of these schemes listed.

8. Msz

Full programmes:
    Phonics International - Debbie Hepplewhite - very comprehensive I have used it alongside JP for 3 or 4 years
    (Read Write Inc - Oxford University Press - very effective but personally dislike the intensity

Jolly Phonics - Jolly Learning Ltd - effective introduction to phonics in reception don't buy all the extras
    Floppy's Phonics Sounds and Letters - Oxford University Press - just purchased this and very positive feedback - parents love the books
    Phonics Bug - Pearson - fun stories

Sounds-Write - Sounds-Write Ltd- not strictly synthetic phonics
    Project X phonics - Oxford University Press - bought these last year very popular with the children
    Songbirds - Oxford University Press - we use as our main scheme written by Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo)
    Bug Club - Pearson - On line reading prog our children love it! reaches or reluctant readers

9. My local ORT rep told me today that as far as she knows Floppy's phonics and the new Traditional Tales will be available through the approved catalogue but not Songbirds. Personally I like Floppy's phonics especially as they have a fiction & a non-fiction range. I think the new Traditional Tales look good too but I've only viewed them online.

10. Msz

11. I've just glanced at the OUP catalogue - in the small print it says that Songbirds are not available for match funding.

12. Thanks Msz- can always rely on your 'knowledge'. I did like the look of Floppy's Phonics as we follow the ORT reading scheme so might make sense to continue the theme/characters. We do have a lot of JP resources so would be good to try something new.

13. As far as I know, no Pearson book schemes made it into the match -funding catalogue, as it is strictly for synthetic phonics programmes, reading schemes, resources and training. I think this is because Pearson, very confusingly, mixed their phonically decodable books (Phonics Bug ) in with their whole language readers (Bug Club) All will be revealed on the 26th, which is when the catalogue is supposed to appear...

14. Msz

Pearson's are advertising Phonics Bug as eligible for matched funding[​IMG]
    and e books
    A cost-effective online course to help embed Phonics Bug and synthetic phonics teaching across your school - NOW eligible for match-funding

15. Well, that's good news. Perhaps Pearson decided to make a much clearer delineation between the 2 parts of the Bug Club scheme which eventually satisfied the ESPO bods.

16. Msz

Susan they are definitely sold as separate components not as a combined package.

17. Msz

18. Hi Susan,
    I work for Pearson Primary so can perhaps help clarify the situation!
    We are delighted that our complete synthetic phonics programme Phonics Bug is completely eligible for the match-funding (software, eBook licences, teaching support and decodable readers, plus Phonics Bug related professional development).
    Its sister series Bug Club is a phonically based whole-school reading programme. Bug Club Key Stage 1 was actually approved by the DfE as meeting their criteria for supplementary phonics resources but because it it contains some context words that are not 100% decodable (for example Angelina Ballerina in a Phase 3 book) it is not eligible for the funding. However, we are offering our own version of the match funding for schools in the UK, so if this is of interest do contact your local Pearson consultant.
    Best wishes,
    Ros

19. Sorry - I meant to say we're offering our own version of match-funding on Bug Club for schools in England...

20. Msz

Can i have half my subscription back please [​IMG]