1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Phonics - Letters and Sounds/Read Write Inc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sgnqt17, Sep 13, 2018.

1. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

I have recently started working at a school that use Read Write Inc to teach phonics. I only have experience teaching the Letters and Sounds framework.

When teaching letters and sounds I used the ‘Letters and Sounds Principles and Practice of High Quality Phonics’ book which sets out each phase, the sounds to teach week by week and also different activities. Is there a book like this for Read Write Inc?

Thanks!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Should have the handbooks in with your resources. There's book 1 and book 2 which cover all 3 sets of sounds. It gives you the sound teaching sequence and the reading sequence. It is so very different to Letters and Sounds. It completely flummoxed me to begin with. I'd suggest having a long conversation with your phonics lead, observing a couple of different people doing it, and asking for proper training. It's absolutely military and you'll feel super silly talking about 'special friends' all the time, but it is totally worth using.

4. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Thank you, that is really helpful (can’t believe how much RWI resources cost though!)

I am a TA so won’t be directly teaching RWI but I will need to support some children (who are on P Scales and don’t do RWI sessions) in class to progress with their reading and writing. I thought if I did some reading about RWI it may be helpful in knowing how to support them further.

5. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Thank you - I have noticed how different it is to Letters and Sounds!

I am an NQT but have taken a TA role this year due to not being successful getting a teaching post. I won’t be directly teaching full RWI sessions but I’d like to find out more about it so I can support some children in my class. Hopefully school might have the books you have mentioned!